Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is this an infection?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Is this an infection?
« on: April 28, 2018, 11:58:51 pm »
I've never had an infection before, but this doesn't look normal to me.

Untitled by STEVE HARRISON, on Flickr
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Is this an infection?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:22:46 am »
Looks like mold to me.

To be sure, you should post it on the MTF Facebook page and ask them. Totally joking. Doing so would be like playing football with a flaming hornets nest.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:30:27 am »
Where in the process are you when you took the picture? 

I've seen that type of look in the fermenter before the yeast takes off and after the yeast has dropped and it's just CO2 bubbles building islands around hop debris.

I can't really say for sure, obviously, but I would lean towards "probably okay" until proven otherwise.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 05:39:32 am »
It reminds me of the very first appearance of activity in a starter (I never see the inside of my fermenter, especially at that stage.)  Could just be a super slow start.  Wait. See exactly what is starting before you dump. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 06:11:56 am »
Looks to me like a Pellicle.  Yes, it is an infection.  There is a lot of interesting information about it on the internet.  It has happened to me, twice, before I decided to toss out my white food grade bottling bucket.  No matter how clean and sanitized I thought it was, it had microscopic scratches that harbored microbes.

They are Snow White and will eventually consume the entire surface of your beer.  I ended up dumping both batches.  Now I use a Big Mouth Bubbler with a bottling spout.  Problem: Gone!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 06:24:54 am »
I wouldn't say that it is absolutely an infection. It may just be yeast colonies. I also wouldn't absolutely call that a pellicle (yet.) In my experience pellicles form more like a webbing rather than isolated colonies.

One of the ways to check if a beer has an infection is to take a pH reading. If it is lower than you expect (under 3.8-3.9) then it is most likely an infection. Also, if you want to be sure you can speed up the process by taking a small sample and heating it to 90 degrees for 3-5 days (you can fashion a small incubator with a cooler and small heat tape or heat stick.) If the pH drops or it tastes tart or funky you will know you have a problem.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 08:59:20 am »
Well I dumped the packet of dry yeast in yesterday evening and this morning it is off to the races.  Large active krausen.  I'll wait till fermentation is done then do a taste test.  Thanks.

BTW What does mold taste like?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:07:24 am by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 02:10:35 pm »
Well I dumped the packet of dry yeast in yesterday evening and this morning it is off to the races.  Large active krausen.  I'll wait till fermentation is done then do a taste test.  Thanks.

So, when was that picture taken?  Post or pre pitching?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 05:32:26 pm »

So, when was that picture taken?  Post or pre pitching?

From another post on this forum:

"I brewed the beer Thursday, 4/26/18.  Pitched yeast @ 21:30, at 50*.  60 seconds of pure O2 through a stone at the bottom of the conical fermenter.  One pack of Wyeast 2206, dated 3/31/18, in Shaken not Stirred method (one Qt. wort).  Which was started at ~12:00... maybe a bit late?
First airlock activity today (4/28) 09:00.   ~36 hours.

But the airlock activity didn't increase like it usually does, so I decided to run to the LHBS to get some dry yeast.  I'd concluded that I under-pitched dramatically."

So the picture above is post-initial pitch, but pre-dry yeast pitch.
Steve
BJCP #D1667