General Category > Beer Recipes

Hot Peppers

(1/4) > >>

madscientist:
What is a good recipie to use roasted Jalapenos (or other peppers) in?  The recipe wiki says a scotch ale, but i'm curious to what style would provide the best base?  Throw them in the boil or secondary like a dry hop or both?

bluesman:
Here's a recipe from BYO.

http://byo.com/component/resource/article/710-golden-chili-lager

I'm not sure how it would work with roasted peppers.

shea-arne:
I brewed an american pale ale, then dry hopped the sucker with chipotle chilis (which i think are roasted jalapenos). Came out surprisingly nice and has recieved very positive feedback.

jeffy:
My experience is that peppers go better with sweeter, less bitter styles of beer.  I've had good success with peppers in a Belgian Witbier, but I've also had some very nice Scottish, O-Fest, and even Saison pepper beers.  The flavors clash a bit with hoppy, bitter beers in my opinion.
It's also important to get the right pepper flavor and aroma as well as the heat level.  All heat and no flavor can be pretty sneaky.  I was once seriously injured by a habanero mead - still have nightmares.
I usually put the peppers in the secondary or the keg for a couple days (dry pepper?) and judge the level of pepper-ness before continuing.

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: shea-arne on August 09, 2010, 12:30:08 PM ---I brewed an american pale ale, then dry hopped the sucker with chipotle chilis (which i think are roasted jalapenos).

--- End quote ---

Chipotles are smoked, not roasted.

I've had really nice pepper beers that were light lagers (not that Cave Creek stuff, good homebrewed ones), and a nice brown ale that had a light burn mostly in your throat.  I don't have the recipes though, so that's probably not too helpful.

I think you can get away with either putting them in at the end of the boil or in secondary, but if you keg then for your first try you might want to just make a tincture and dose the finished beer to taste.  In other words, soak the roasted peppers in vodka for a few days or weeks.  Then add a little at a time to a sample of finished beer until you get the proportion right.  Then dose the keg at 80% of the rate you determined and see how it goes.  You can always add more, taking some away is tough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version