Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Phosphoric acid in the mash parameters, and taste?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Phosphoric acid in the mash parameters, and taste?
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:55:50 am »
 In a recent post, Martin said pertaining to 88% lactic acid—-“1ml per gallon 88% lactic is no problem at all. Its around 1.5 ml/gal that the 88% lactic will definitely have flavor impacts.”

Are there similar parameters to using 85% phosphoric acid? And if so what are they? And above what level is there a taste impact? And what is the taste?

Thanks!
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Phosphoric acid in the mash parameters, and taste?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:09:48 am »
Phosphate compounds are relatively "flavor neutral" while lactate compounds have a more noticeable flavor impact.  It is for this reason that phosphoric acid is generally regarded by many as the "best" acid to use in brewing.

And following is a somewhat different but perhaps even more valid argument based on the amount of phosphates already present in malt:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/why-phosphoric-acid-is-flavor-neutral.601471/

Regards,

David M. Taylor
B.S. Chemical Engineering
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:15:10 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:26:32 am »
I prefer lactic for two reasons, apart from taste:

1) Lactic acid is the only acid that will occur naturally in traditional brewhouse processes (you simply can't avoid its presence in beer, and its production is the mechanism of biological acidification in Continental practice) and

2) Phosphoric acid precipitates calcium through apatite reaction, throwing off the balance of your RA and mineral calculations and bringing you back to the beginning, possibly repeatedly.

Both of these points can be overstated, I acknowledge.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:43:32 pm »
Phosphoric acid is used in soft drinks, the pH of Coke is ~2.5. It keeps those from being flabby/syrupy. Not much taste, is there?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 01:32:49 pm »
Phosphoric acid is used in soft drinks, the pH of Coke is ~2.5. It keeps those from being flabby/syrupy. Not much taste, is there?

Yup, there's not an unpleasant degree of acid character in Coke (or other cola), at least not to most people I know.

Then for contrast, try slamming a well aged kombucha with a pH of 2.5, which is basically a combo of lactic acid and acetic acid (vinegar), or maybe a mixed "shrub" (vinegar drink -- look it up) -- some people might be able to "enjoy" these beverages, but most will complain of the burning acid sensation.  Not as pleasant to the masses as cola.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »
Rob, the calcium phosphate precipitation reaction requires sufficient calcium content in the water in order for that reaction to proceed. If your calcium is high enough to induce the reaction, you probably don't need to worry about your wort being short of calcium.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 03:42:48 pm »
Rob, the calcium phosphate precipitation reaction requires sufficient calcium content in the water in order for that reaction to proceed. If your calcium is high enough to induce the reaction, you probably don't need to worry about your wort being short of calcium.
Martin, that's what I meant by "this can be (usually is?) overstated."  But it is a potential complication I think anybody using phosphoric should be aware of, even if it isn't a practical problem for them. It can affect RA, if you are calculating this yourself.  Can I assume that Bru'n Water works this out for us if we select phosphoric as our acid?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:48:59 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:30:23 pm »
Oh, I sure don't need to add more complication to that program. Bru'n Water doesn't consider that phosphate precipitation reaction.

Brewers that are interested in exploring if their water and its calcium content are at risk when using phosphoric acid should review the charts that AJ Delange incorporated into the Water book. They're reasonably easy to use.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 06:50:26 pm »
Thanks.  That book is where I became aware of this.  I won't ever worry about it myself anyway, as I like lactic as a "shortcut" mimicking biological acidification, but it's an interesting illustration of how everything we do affects other things in ways we might not have considered.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio