Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash pH temperature correction?  (Read 6986 times)

Offline Shawn3997

• 1st Kit
Mash pH temperature correction?
« on: April 27, 2018, 07:21:56 pm »
If my mash pH is 5.65 at room temperature and is thus corrected to a 5.3 pH at mash temperatures, does that mean my mash pH is 5.3 and therefore doesn't need correcting?  I'm doing an all Pilsner beer and not using any acid correction.  Am I fine?

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Re: Mash pH temperature correction?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 08:16:54 pm »
When referencing Mash PH, it's almost always at room temperature that you should target and measure. having said that, 5.6 isn't the end of the world. You should be fine.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 08:43:50 pm »
When referencing Mash PH, it's almost always at room temperature that you should target and measure. 
Not almost always.  Always.  pH always refers to pH measured under standard reference conditions,  or it is meaningless.  In brewing that has always meant 20°C, and remember that if your meter has ATC,  that only corrects for the function of the electrode, not the actual change in mash chemistry at different temperatures. You must still measure pH at room temperature.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Shawn3997

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:55:33 pm »
When referencing Mash PH, it's almost always at room temperature that you should target and measure. 
Not almost always.  Always.  pH always refers to pH measured under standard reference conditions,  or it is meaningless.  In brewing that has always meant 20°C, and remember that if your meter has ATC,  that only corrects for the function of the electrode, not the actual change in mash chemistry at different temperatures. You must still measure pH at room temperature.

So when one says you should have a mash pH of 5.2, for instance, they mean if you measure the mash at mash temperature you would get a 5.55 (with the 0.35 correction)?

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 09:04:23 pm »
The "0.35 correction" is really something of a homebrew myth, actually.  pH will always measure lower at mash temp than the actual room temp pH, but there is no correction formula.  The displacement is unique to each mash, depending on grist, water composition, time, temperature and other factors, and varies widely (from around 0.1 to 0.6.)  The only way to know the mash pH is to measure it at room temperature.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline tommymorris

Mash pH temperature correction?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 10:32:38 pm »
Does this mean the pH value predicted by Brunwater is for 20C rather than 25C (room temperature)?

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 05:22:58 am »
Does this mean the pH value predicted by Brunwater is for 20C rather than 25C (room temperature)?
I don't know, what does Bru'n Water say? Anyway, there is a negligible difference between 20° and 25°C (or lower) as far as I know.  (Temperature in whose room anyway? Mine's pretty chilly this morning.)  It's as the temperature rises higher the displacement gets bigger.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 06:29:24 am »
Yes you are correct, one of those posts where you throw in the "almost" as a matter of habit, but yes, always at room temp. I use medicine cups for samples during mashing. they cool quickly and are the right size for my probe.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 06:30:21 am »

+1. Room Temperature. RDWHAHB.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 07:14:36 am »
Always record your mash pH at room temperature, which for the OP is 5.65.  That is indeed a bit high.  I'll bet the beer still turns out fine, but ideally should be adjusted down by salts or acid.

The correction between mash temp and room temp is 0.25, not 0.35.  This has been confirmed by several including myself.  I have measured mash pH at mash temp without ill effect, aiming for 5.4 at room temp and 5.15 at mash temp if measured there.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 01:42:53 pm »
Always record your mash pH at room temperature, which for the OP is 5.65.  That is indeed a bit high.  I'll bet the beer still turns out fine, but ideally should be adjusted down by salts or acid.

The correction between mash temp and room temp is 0.25, not 0.35.  This has been confirmed by several including myself.  I have measured mash pH at mash temp without ill effect, aiming for 5.4 at room temp and 5.15 at mash temp if measured there.

Unless you specify the mash temp there is no such thing as a universal correction factor.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 01:49:24 pm »

Unless you specify the mash temp there is no such thing as a universal correction factor.

You read my mind!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 02:28:39 pm »

You read my mind!

😉

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 03:22:31 pm »
For those who mash single infusion about 150 F, see my response above.  For those who step mash at 7 different temperatures, I don't know what the pH is at different temps.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 03:31:04 pm »

There is no universal correction factor even with specified temperature, because the composition of each mash makes it behave in its own way, it seems. Published experiments bear this out; just for starters see DeClerck ch. XII.  Palmer and Kaminski promulgated a supposed correction formula that involved multiplying the difference between mash temperature and reference temperature by a constant and adding this to the apparent pH. I tried it countless times and found it was always wrong, usually by a significant margin,  and in no consistent way.   If someone seems to regularly see the same "correction," say 0.35, 0.25, etc, I would suspect this is because they are regularly setting up similar conditions --  liquor, grist, procedures, what have you.  I would not want to suggest to a brewer that they can trust anyone else's results;  best to take an accurate measurement yourself under the correct conditions. Should you find you can establish your own rule of thumb, that's fine.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio