Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash pH temperature correction?  (Read 6970 times)

Big Monk

Re: Mash pH temperature correction?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 04:16:33 pm »
For those who mash single infusion about 150 F, see my response above.  For those who step mash at 7 different temperatures, I don't know what the pH is at different temps.

It wasn’t a dig at you Dave. It’s just misleading and people will take that and run with it.

You have to think that if you don’t specify a single infusion temperature as you did above, people will just say, “So and so from such and such forum said the correction is actually 0.25 pH units.” That’s just simple human nature and it’s how myths and rumors get started and gain traction.

Do you though. That number is your number and it strikes me as valid for you. I wasn’t trying to force you to clarify, but it’s probably good that you did.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:42:53 pm by Big Monk »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 05:00:24 pm »
Lots of "rumors" on here from the likes of Gordon Strong, Kai Troester, A.J. DeLange......

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6168.msg74846#msg74846
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 05:59:13 pm »
Lots of "rumors" on here from the likes of Gordon Strong, Kai Troester, A.J. DeLange......

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6168.msg74846#msg74846

Not really what I meant when I said that but it does little to change the fact that ultimately, for those following best practices in pH measurement, the correlation between mash temp and room temp pH is an absolutely useless metric.

To the OP: All recommended pH values and pH optima are referenced to room temp. Measure at room temp and disregard all talk of measuring at mash temp. Measuring at mash temp is known to degrade measurement equipment and if you want longer life and reliability out of your meter, always chill before measuring.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 06:02:32 pm by Big Monk »

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 06:08:58 pm »
+1
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.