Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amber Ale with special B  (Read 2056 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Amber Ale with special B
« on: April 28, 2018, 08:38:37 pm »
Howdy! I went down to my LHBS with my amber recipe in hand.  Most of my recipes for the past 15 years have been pales, browns, porters and stouts.  Now I haven't made an amber in 15 years or so. This is what I came up with.
8lbs maris otter
1lb munich
1lb crystal 40
1lb crystal 80

So I walked out with they closest they had.  Instead of crystal 80, they had crystal 75.  But before I could leave, my eyes spotted Special B and I remember reading somewhere about special B in amber ales.  That is when a voice in my head said, "Heeeeyyy! You can switch out half of that crystal 75 with .5 lbs of Special B!" So I was wondering if this would be a great idea, or something other than a great idea.

8 lbs maris otter
1 lb munich
1lb crystal 40
.5 lb. crystal 80
.5 lb. Special B
and I'm going to do some kind of hopping with centennial and cascade to get me 30-35 ibus. I like special B in porters and stouts but I am not sure in the amber. It is only 4.5% so ... yah.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Amber Ale with special B
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 06:04:21 am »
That recipe has quite a bit of crystal in it and the substitution of Special B may not be any more helpful. Special B is one of those malts that can be overused with undesirable results. It's lovely in nuanced usage, but easily becomes overwhelming.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 09:56:26 am »
I agree with Martin about Special B. I use 2 oz per 5 gallons in one of my recipes and that is enough to be tasty without overwhelming. I would leave it out of an amber ale, except in very small amounts.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:51:55 am »
Looks fine to me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Amber Ale with special B
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 02:56:40 pm »
Simply as a data point: the Amer Amber recipe I use (based on Josh Weikert’s recipe) has 78% Pale Malt (usually Maris Otter), 7% ea of Munich I, Special Roast, and Cara 45, with the last 1% Pale Chocolate.  Special B and Special Roast are close enough I could sub one for the other.

Your beer your call. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:03:09 pm by BrewBama »