Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Irish Pale Ale thoughts???  (Read 1589 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Irish Pale Ale thoughts???
« on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:08 am »
Hey guys been awhile since I have been on. Have been pretty busy and not a lot of time to brew. But next week I plan on brewing Stout with my friend and another brew session later in the week. Anyway I wanted something a little different so after playing around with some ideas this is what I came up with. Kind of an Irish twist on a pale ale.
Grain Bill:
* 10lbs Irish Ale Malt(Malting company of Ireland)
* 1lbs Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
SRM:7.53
Hop Schedule
* .75oz of UK First Gold @ 60min
* .75oz EKG @ 30min
* .25oz First Gold @ 5min
* .25oz EKG @ 5min
IBU:33.5

Pitching WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast @ 65F
Expected Attenuation: 73%
Stats:
* Efficiency ~70%
* OG: 1.058
* FG: 1.016
* ABV: 5.5%

Any feedback or critiques would be awesome, Cheers!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Irish Pale Ale thoughts???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 10:16:04 am »
Isn't an Irish red ale an "Irish twist on a pale ale?" I think that you are thinking of a pale ale with Irish yeast which is fine, but I don' think it will be very Irish. It will be basically an English pale ale. Why not go with the Irish red?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Irish Pale Ale thoughts???
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 10:25:43 am »
Hey guys been awhile since I have been on. Have been pretty busy and not a lot of time to brew. But next week I plan on brewing Stout with my friend and another brew session later in the week. Anyway I wanted something a little different so after playing around with some ideas this is what I came up with. Kind of an Irish twist on a pale ale.
Grain Bill:
* 10lbs Irish Ale Malt(Malting company of Ireland)
* 1lbs Simpsons Golden Naked Oats
SRM:7.53
Hop Schedule
* .75oz of UK First Gold @ 60min
* .75oz EKG @ 30min
* .25oz First Gold @ 5min
* .25oz EKG @ 5min
IBU:33.5

Pitching WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast @ 65F
Expected Attenuation: 73%
Stats:
* Efficiency ~70%
* OG: 1.058
* FG: 1.016
* ABV: 5.5%

Any feedback or critiques would be awesome, Cheers!

extremely old bump, but reading this. i want to chime in on two "irishness" points. perceived authenticity when it comes to ireland feels difficult, due to the actual destruction/suppression of a lot of irish history and culture as well as it being overshadowed by its big next door neighbour the UK and an irish population in america that technically is bigger than that of current ireland itself. among other issues. but..

according to guinness at least, they mapped the genome of the 1958 (i believe - its in the podcast) guinness yeast, the oldest sample they have. and that while it shares some aspects (im not a scientist and im paraphrasing from what i remember) with various yeasts from the british isles, 30% of it is completely unique, which they assume to be yeasts native to ireland. so WLP004 is apparently based off of one of the guinness yeasts, it is likely that it does in fact have some origins uniquely in ireland.

they state that just like in most brewing centres around ireland and the UK, the various breweries in dublin would share yeast, essentially spreading it back and forth. i've heard a similar thing about brewing in edinburgh at least.

1. the beers historically brewed between the 18th century and the 20th century in ireland were porter/stout and pale ales. check barclay perkins on irish pale ales. uniformity in the UK brewing scene meant it was possible to export to other places without having styles that would put off the customers. "irish red ale" is of course a late 20th century marketing ploy.

2. not sure about hops, but one of the key things in creating a unique flavour in an irish pale ale would be their different grain and malting techniques. so the irish ale malt would potentially be a big factor.

i hope you went ahead on this sans the golden naked oats (i personally hate them), but with the WLP004 and irish ale malt. i think hops would be appropriate, but i'd aim for a higher IBU and also i'd add cane sugar or invert sugar.

i'm going to look around to see if i can get irish ale malt. i never considered it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:30:13 am by fredthecat »