Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New toy  (Read 4268 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New toy
« on: May 01, 2018, 05:51:14 pm »
MDC Induction Cooktop. All I need is to install the vent hood and I am an indoor brewer!  Can’t wait to brew while it’s raining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

Re: New toy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 05:58:10 pm »
Sweet.  Indoors is handy, but "Big Deck" still sounds cooler than "Little Countertop." :)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:30:06 pm »
Oh, I still have a Big Deck.

Big Monk

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 06:49:55 pm »
Brewing outside?

Ain’t nobody got time fer dat.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 07:22:58 pm »
I question the need for even using the fan anymore.  I boil off a half gallon now.  A lot condenses on the hood and yes, the humidity levels go up.  But I wonder if it's necessary, especially in the winter with such low boil off. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 08:17:34 pm »
Awesome. How many watts is that cooktop? It looks big.

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 08:18:00 pm »
I question the need for even using the fan anymore.  I boil off a half gallon now.  A lot condenses on the hood and yes, the humidity levels go up.  But I wonder if it's necessary, especially in the winter with such low boil off. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I've always been a stovetop brewer.  While I have a good stove, I have no hood in my little townhouse galley kitchen. No problem.  Of course I target 4-6% reduction (~1.3L) in a 45 min (max) boil now, but I've boiled more aggressively in the past with no problem.  No propane, no worries.
EDIT I'm also using the stove to mash and heat HLT.   So lots of burners going and I'm still alive.  If humidity is a worry there are other ways to ventilate the house. Again, no propane no problem; you're golden.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:25:17 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 09:08:40 pm »
Pro tip: Your mashtun holds significantly more grain/water when it's right side up.

Whats the wattage? 120V or 240? I keep flipping between upgrading from a turkey burner...every time I try and talk to someone when I'm heating water I want to switch, and whenever I'm not I look at the price tag...Looks like a pretty serious induction burner.

Offline BrewBama

New toy
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 05:39:36 am »
It’s 3500W. I run it off the dryer outlet

Pro tip: Your mashtun holds significantly more grain/water when it's right side up.

I was wondering why I was getting crappy efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:44:28 am by BrewBama »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 05:45:05 am »
MDC Induction Cooktop. All I need is to install the vent hood and I am an indoor brewer!  Can’t wait to brew while it’s raining.

Very nice!  I have been using an induction burner for my HLT for about two years now and I absolutely love it!  I have a Waring 1800 watt, 120 V unit.  I’m sure you’ll enjoy yours as well.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 04:04:18 pm »
Looks pretty good.  Just out of curiosity, where'd you source it?  I've got a 3500W Advantco I use in the garage.  On the couple of occasions I noticed some moisture build up on the car windows, I just cracked the garage door open a touch.  There were several more brews where I didn't notice anything, though.  When it was 5F outside, it was a balmy 40F in the garage.  Ain't electricity nice?

And while I'm only doing 2.5 gallon batches, bringing just a little less than 4 gallons of wort to a boil with 3500W doesn't take very long at all!  I had tried an 1800W unit that just didn't have the guts to get the job done so when we moved, I had a 220 line put in the garage and it's worked out great!
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 04:12:09 pm »
Looks pretty good.  Just out of curiosity, where'd you source it?  I've got a 3500W Advantco I use in the garage.  On the couple of occasions I noticed some moisture build up on the car windows, I just cracked the garage door open a touch.  There were several more brews where I didn't notice anything, though.  When it was 5F outside, it was a balmy 40F in the garage.  Ain't electricity nice?

And while I'm only doing 2.5 gallon batches, bringing just a little less than 4 gallons of wort to a boil with 3500W doesn't take very long at all!  I had tried an 1800W unit that just didn't have the guts to get the job done so when we moved, I had a 220 line put in the garage and it's worked out great!

I got it from Amazon. I looked at the Avantco which had a better price point but had poor reviews from what seems to be a recent bad batch. If you’ve had yours a while you probably have an earlier one which have been reportedly better. One guy has had his Avantco five years with only minor maintenance. ...but the later ones seem less resilient. I rolled the dice on this one because the reviews seemed better. (Pay once cry once mentality.) We’ll see if I live to regret the decision.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 04:29:13 pm »

I got it from Amazon. I looked at the Avantco which had a better price point but had poor reviews from what seems to be a recent bad batch. If you’ve had yours a while you probably have an earlier one which have been reportedly better. One guy has had his Avantco five years with only minor maintenance. ...but the later ones seem less resilient. I rolled the dice on this one because the reviews seemed better. (Pay once cry once mentality.) We’ll see if I live to regret the decision.

I got mine almost exactly a year ago.  I've got 25 batches on it and so far, it's worked like a champ.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 04:30:47 pm »
Josh Weikert has written quite a bit about his induction brewing setup.  https://beerandbrewing.com/my-brew-system-josh-weikert-cb-and-b-contributor-and-beer-simple-blog/
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

New toy
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 07:34:30 pm »
Yes I’ve read several articles in Beer and Brewing from Josh and I like his Beer Simple site (He wrote a feature article in BYO magazine about induction brewing as well). I considered his information, John Blickmann’s AHA presentation on setting up a brewery, Mainline Brewer’s Association’ page on induction brewing, the Electric Brewery, and several other sources as I was trying to decide what I wanted, how to remove steam and heat from my brew space (aka the laundry room), etc.

I used Josh’s sparge technique successfully this past weekend on Drew’s Enkel recipe and this year’s Cinco de Mayo Vienna Lager is a ‘Make Your Best’ recipe.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:37:04 pm by BrewBama »