Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian wit "orange peel stand"  (Read 1566 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Belgian wit "orange peel stand"
« on: May 02, 2018, 04:25:05 pm »
Brewing up a wit tomorrow.  Did the same recipe last year which includes additions of fresh citrus peel around 5 min left in boil.  Would it be better to consider doing a hop stand like rest around 180-190 for a period of time after the boil and add them then to extract citrus flavors with hope of retaining more aromatics and flavor in the finished beer.  Was very pleased with results last year, just always looking to try new things.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: Belgian wit "orange peel stand"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:16:07 pm »
I love the idea of adding citrus peel to the boiling pot.  I'll have to try that sometime.

A little over a year ago a did several variations of a heather ale.  Before I started brewing with heather tips, I ran some experiments making tea with them.  I tested several variations with the amount of heather, and also the temperature of the water.  I found that boiling water was a little overkill and ended up steeping in the same general range you mention, 170-180 degrees.  Not sure if citrus peel will act the same way.

With your brew coming up I don't know if you'll have the time (or extra oranges), but at some point you could try steeping some peel in water at different temperature levels and see if you get different flavor results.  This technique worked well for me.

Happy brewing tomorrow!

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:39:15 pm »
In theory a stand should preserve slightly more aromatics than a boil.  But in reality, I'll bet it doesn't much matter.  If I'm right then I'd just do whichever one I thought was easier.  Or better yet... delay adding any flavoring until packaging day, soak just the zest of a few oranges in vodka overnight or for a few days or weeks, then add the flavored vodka to the beer at bottling.  Not a ton of vodka, just a few ounces.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline apple

• Cellarman
  • Converting grains to good times, one mug at a time
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:43:40 pm »
In theory a stand should preserve slightly more aromatics than a boil.  But in reality, I'll bet it doesn't much matter.  If I'm right then I'd just do whichever one I thought was easier.  Or better yet... delay adding any flavoring until packaging day, soak just the zest of a few oranges in vodka overnight or for a few days or weeks, then add the flavored vodka to the beer at bottling.  Not a ton of vodka, just a few ounces.

For aromatics this is the way to go. I zest 2-4 good size oranges, soak the zest in about 1/2 cup of vodka for a week and then add it to the keg. My last few batches I actually use a small mesh bag to hang the zest from the dip tube so that it only sits in the beer for a few weeks until the level of the beer goes down a few inches.

I typically pour the vodka infused liquid in the keg and hang the back of zest by a zip tie, then fill the keg.

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 10:12:43 am »
All excellent suggestions.  This will be an annual spring brew so will do some experimenting.  May go with the steep after flameout this year.  Could also add some to vodka, steep, and add with a dropper to finished poured beer to judge the difference.  Thanks!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:16:10 am »
I add the zest like a dry hop addition. Works great.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale