Imperial G03 (the same as WLP029?)
1 (14.3%)
W-177 (whatever that is)
0 (0%)
K97 (not my thing)
1 (14.3%)
you're an idiot, there are really only two strains well suited for Kolsch
2 (28.6%)
something else (inland island looks interesting)
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: non WLP/WY Kolsch yeast  (Read 7689 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
non WLP/WY Kolsch yeast
« on: May 04, 2018, 02:26:09 pm »
I don't know if if it's temperature related or not but I cannot get the yeast character I want from the kolsch yeasts I have tried. Anyone have any recommendations on something that gives that slightly fruity with a touch a sulphur? I have been using Imperial G03 which apparently is the same as WLP029. It's a good yeast but just too clean. Maybe I need to go back to WY2565 but I remember not being too crazy about that one as well. 
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: non WLP/WY Kolsch yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 02:54:00 pm »
IMO, 2565 is the only kolsch yeast that give the results I want.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 03:12:22 pm »
K-97 is available in homebrew sachets now. I don’t know it’s source.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 03:16:40 pm »
K-97 is available in homebrew sachets now. I don’t know it’s source.

Not a fan of K97. I used it quite a while for a lot of different styles and it usually attributed an unwanted tartness. I personally found that it worked well in something like an american wheat but not much else.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:30:33 pm by goschman »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 03:17:57 pm »

Very helpful! What others have you used?

I am really interested in trying the few that Inland Island offers. They are located here in denver so maybe you can't or haven't tried them.

https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-572-golden-kolsch-style-ale/
https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-571-kolsch-style-ale/
https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-573-german-hybrid-ale/

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:30:56 pm by goschman »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 04:19:12 pm »

I am really interested in trying the few that Inland Island offers. They are located here in denver so maybe you can't or haven't tried them.

Truthfully, not a lot.  It's been so long I can't recall and my notes aren't at hand.  I just recall thinking that 2565 made a kolsch that tasted like the few commercial ones I'd had.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 04:38:19 pm »
Kölsch is an interesting style. It’s kinda a lager and kinda an Ale. It has a bit of acidulated malt so there’s a hint of lemon-ish tart (but just a suggestive hint) and a slight mineral component from the Köln water. The yeast is an anomaly in itself and 2565 is spot on. Of course this is all my opinion and YMMV. I’d like to try Omega’s and Imperial’s offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 05:15:48 pm »

Truthfully, not a lot.  It's been so long I can't recall and my notes aren't at hand.  I just recall thinking that 2565 made a kolsch that tasted like the few commercial ones I'd had.

Agreed.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 06:21:06 pm »
Evaluation by experts of the recent yeast genome study suggests that WLP029 *might* belong on the English part of the tree next to WLP002.  Click the following link, zoom way into the pink section at about the 11:00 mark, and look for "beer094".  If qq's guess is correct, WLP029 might be predecessor to WLP002.  So, maybe try something English?  Ferment cold, 60 F or so.  It almost kind of makes sense when you think about it.

http://beer.suregork.com/?p=4000

EDIT: Looking more deeply into this, I'm now hypothesizing that *maybe* WB-06 is a cousin of WLP003 German Ale II, and both might be decendants of 2565, if my guess is correct that "beer008" is 2565.  Hmm...

More craziness to follow in the next few days, weeks, months, years.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:01:54 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 09:02:23 pm »
Evaluation by experts of the recent yeast genome study suggests that WLP029 *might* belong on the English part of the tree next to WLP002.  Click the following link, zoom way into the pink section at about the 11:00 mark, and look for "beer094".  If qq's guess is correct, WLP029 might be predecessor to WLP002.  So, maybe try something English?  Ferment cold, 60 F or so.  It almost kind of makes sense when you think about it.

http://beer.suregork.com/?p=4000

EDIT: Looking more deeply into this, I'm now hypothesizing that *maybe* WB-06 is a cousin of WLP003 German Ale II, and both might be decendants of 2565, if my guess is correct that "beer008" is 2565.  Hmm...

More craziness to follow in the next few days, weeks, months, years.

Cheers.

Sounds strange. Haha! Positive wb-06 won’t do it and not very confident about wlp002

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 08:15:40 am »
I've had great luck with  both WLP029 and WY2565. The former takes a little more effort to clear though gelatin has done the trick. It is also a bit finicky and occasionally stalls if you don't ramp the temp. 029 seems to have more chardonnay and "white grape" character. Very crisp and clean.

For the last 7 or 8 years I have only brewed with the WY2565 strain mostly because thats where I get most of my yeast from. It's maybe a little easier to clear and seems to be a stronger fermenter (I've never had it stall even if I forgot to raise temp). I get more pear and apple in addition to the chardonnay with this strain if the fermentations are handled right.

For both strains I start of fermentation at 58 degree then ramp into the high 60s after 72 hours. You definitely need to play with pitching rates to get the ester profile you want.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 08:17:13 am »
Evaluation by experts of the recent yeast genome study suggests that WLP029 *might* belong on the English part of the tree next to WLP002.

That would be awfully strange to me seeing as WLP002 is a high flocking yeast and WLP029 is a very powdery strain.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 10:09:40 am »
Back to the drawing board I suppose. There must be something wrong with my recipe or process since I don’t get the results I want. They had a great kolsch at a local brewery that had just what I wanted. I asked the brewer which yeast he uses and he told me ‘kolsch’ yeast.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 10:29:40 am »
Back to the drawing board I suppose. There must be something wrong with my recipe or process since I don’t get the results I want. They had a great kolsch at a local brewery that had just what I wanted. I asked the brewer which yeast he uses and he told me ‘kolsch’ yeast.

What's your process and recipe?

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 04:01:05 pm »
I don't know if if it's temperature related or not but I cannot get the yeast character I want from the kolsch yeasts I have tried. Anyone have any recommendations on something that gives that slightly fruity with a touch a sulphur? I have been using Imperial G03 which apparently is the same as WLP029. It's a good yeast but just too clean. Maybe I need to go back to WY2565 but I remember not being too crazy about that one as well.
What is your secondary fermentation’s temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk