Imperial G03 (the same as WLP029?)
1 (14.3%)
W-177 (whatever that is)
0 (0%)
K97 (not my thing)
1 (14.3%)
you're an idiot, there are really only two strains well suited for Kolsch
2 (28.6%)
something else (inland island looks interesting)
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: non WLP/WY Kolsch yeast  (Read 7743 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: non WLP/WY Kolsch yeast
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 04:05:25 pm »
I don't know if if it's temperature related or not but I cannot get the yeast character I want from the kolsch yeasts I have tried. Anyone have any recommendations on something that gives that slightly fruity with a touch a sulphur? I have been using Imperial G03 which apparently is the same as WLP029. It's a good yeast but just too clean. Maybe I need to go back to WY2565 but I remember not being too crazy about that one as well.
What is your secondary fermentation’s temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no need for a secondary. Just cold crash for 2 weeks when fermentation is over.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 08:31:43 pm »
I've had great luck with  both WLP029 and WY2565. The former takes a little more effort to clear though gelatin has done the trick. It is also a bit finicky and occasionally stalls if you don't ramp the temp. 029 seems to have more chardonnay and "white grape" character. Very crisp and clean.

For the last 7 or 8 years I have only brewed with the WY2565 strain mostly because thats where I get most of my yeast from. It's maybe a little easier to clear and seems to be a stronger fermenter (I've never had it stall even if I forgot to raise temp). I get more pear and apple in addition to the chardonnay with this strain if the fermentations are handled right.

For both strains I start of fermentation at 58 degree then ramp into the high 60s after 72 hours. You definitely need to play with pitching rates to get the ester profile you want.
Kieth,
I’ve always thought 029 cleared better for me, and 2565 always was more wine like. 
Funny! Perceptions
I haven’t used either since I came across Giga Yeast 021. It clears and the flavor profile is in the middle.

Jeff B

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 06:45:48 am »
I've had great luck with  both WLP029 and WY2565. The former takes a little more effort to clear though gelatin has done the trick. It is also a bit finicky and occasionally stalls if you don't ramp the temp. 029 seems to have more chardonnay and "white grape" character. Very crisp and clean.

For the last 7 or 8 years I have only brewed with the WY2565 strain mostly because thats where I get most of my yeast from. It's maybe a little easier to clear and seems to be a stronger fermenter (I've never had it stall even if I forgot to raise temp). I get more pear and apple in addition to the chardonnay with this strain if the fermentations are handled right.

For both strains I start of fermentation at 58 degree then ramp into the high 60s after 72 hours. You definitely need to play with pitching rates to get the ester profile you want.
Kieth,
I’ve always thought 029 cleared better for me, and 2565 always was more wine like. 
Funny! Perceptions
I haven’t used either since I came across Giga Yeast 021. It clears and the flavor profile is in the middle.

I may have those reversed as far as "clearing" goes. It's been so long since I have used WLP029. I've given lots of advice on kolsch over the years maybe I need to go look myself up! lol

I think they are both "wine like" if handled right, I think I get more pear and apple in addition to wine-like chardonnay character.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 07:52:08 am »
Yeah, 2565 is the one that takes forever to clear.  WLP029 doesn't have that problem.  But I'll agree that 2565 makes the more authentic Kolsch.  WLP029... doesn't seem to really be a great Kolsch yeast.  I've used it many times, and it's fine, but not great.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 10:52:15 am »
Back to the drawing board I suppose. There must be something wrong with my recipe or process since I don’t get the results I want. They had a great kolsch at a local brewery that had just what I wanted. I asked the brewer which yeast he uses and he told me ‘kolsch’ yeast.

What's your process and recipe?

85% pilsner
10% vienna
5% wheat

FWH magnum/spalt
1/2 oz mittelfruh @ 20 minutes
~20 IBU

yellow balanced water
mash pH 5.3
single infusion mash @ 150F

Normally I ferment close to 60F but I have been pushing G03 into upper 60s in attempt to get more character out of it.

It sounds like I just need to give 2565 another chance.

On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 01:37:38 pm »
The brewery was nice enough to provide me their strain and fermentation profile. He says they use W-177 which he believes is the same as WY2565. Can anyone confirm?

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 09:11:32 pm »
Yeah, 2565 is the one that takes forever to clear.  WLP029 doesn't have that problem.  But I'll agree that 2565 makes the more authentic Kolsch.  WLP029... doesn't seem to really be a great Kolsch yeast.  I've used it many times, and it's fine, but not great.
+1000 029 is almost Lager like. No flavor to add IMO. Between the 2, 2565 no doubt.

Jeff B

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 09:20:51 pm »
+1000 029 is almost Lager like. No flavor to add IMO. Between the 2, 2565 no doubt.

Yeah I was hoping for something other than those two. Apparently all alternatives must not be as good or are the same strain.

Can anyone confirm that w177 is the same as wy2565?

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 09:25:35 pm »

Yeah I was hoping for something other than those two. Apparently all alternatives must not be as good or are the same strain.

Have you been watching this topic?
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=31732.0
It seems nobody can confirm any such thing.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 07:10:41 am »

Have you been watching this topic?
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=31732.0
It seems nobody can confirm any such thing.

Ok. So I guess no one knows which yeast is which anymore. Apparently there are no alternatives to WLP029 or WY2565.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 08:09:04 am »
Ok. So I guess no one knows which yeast is which anymore. Apparently there are no alternatives to WLP029 or WY2565.

Okay, I'll get slightly ranty...

I haven't tried anything else (yet) for a Kolsch.  There are like 100 other beer styles out there.  Kolsch is good but I only brew it every 5 or 6 years.  I have used Kolsch yeasts for other things, but more out of convenience than for the great character attributed to them (at least 2565).  If I've got it, I'll use it for anything.  Right now I don't have any and have no plans to buy any.  I have not explored yeasts from many other manufacturers yet.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 08:09:21 am »

No verification but when I talked to them they said it was from that strain.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 08:22:54 am »

Thank you. The local brewery with the Kolsch that blew me away gave me their complete fermentation profile. I will just have to give 2565 another shot with the information they provided me.

Sorry for such a repetitive post. I just thought there were more alternatives available.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:25:59 am by goschman »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 09:10:45 am »

Thank you. The local brewery with the Kolsch that blew me away gave me their complete fermentation profile. I will just have to give 2565 another shot with the information they provided me.

Sorry for such a repetitive post. I just thought there were more alternatives available.

The kolsch book by Warner in the Brewer's Publications series is a bit old, but still has excellent information. Highly recommended.

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 02:59:26 pm »
I brewed a kolsch in March.  5 gallons got K97, the other 5 got 2565.  (I like doing direct comparisons.)   I tapped the K97 the other day.  It's very good with nice character but slow to clear, even with a floating dip tube.   Hopefully I'll have a spot for the 2565 keg this weekend to compare.   Stand by...
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.