Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Beer brewed with Great Lakes Water  (Read 1469 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Beer brewed with Great Lakes Water
« on: May 19, 2018, 05:29:07 pm »
I saw a short video that said all 12 breweries that use Great Lakes water contain micro plastic. That sux.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

Re: Beer brewed with Great Lakes Water
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 05:40:17 pm »
I bet it's a lot more widespread than Great Lakes water.  I've seen stuff about microbeads appearing in just about all water.  They're  in so many consumer products, and can't be removed by water treatment systems, the stuff is showing up in any water source that's receiving any previously discharged water.  That is, if it ain't rainwater, it's got plastic.  Then again,  if it is rainwater, it's got it's own menu of toxins,  so .... 

EDIT  Wait, what, 12 breweries?  Heck, there are that many just in Cleveland ....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:52:04 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

Beer brewed with Great Lakes Water
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:17:46 pm »
They didn’t say which breweries. They just said the 12 that use Great Lakes water. It was a project by the U of Minnesota so maybe it just the 12 they tested in Minnesota.

Edit: nope. They were from all over: “Twelve brands of beer were purchased between January and April of 2017. All of the beer manufacturers used municipal water (representing a total of nine municipalities) drawn from one of the five Laurentian Great Lakes. Each brewery was reached by phone or email to confirm their water source. The water treatment facility for each of the nine municipalities was also reached by phone to confirm their water source. Three breweries drew water from Lake Superior, four from Lake Michigan, one from Lake Huron, two from Lake Erie, and two from Lake Ontario (Table 2). Seven brands of beer were purchased from Minneapolis, Minnesota liquor stores, two were purchased directly from breweries in Duluth, Minnesota, and the remaining three were purchased in Alpena, Michigan and Rochester, New York. All beers were packaged in 12- or 16-fluid-ounce aluminum cans, 12-fluid-ounce glass bottles, 64-fluid-ounce glass growlers, or 32-fluid-ounce glass howlers (Table 2).”

Here’s the source for the short video I watched. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0194970

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:24:04 pm by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:56:37 am »
This makes me wonder whether polyclar is remaining in my beer to any significant extent rather than fully dropping out.

Regarding these beers, this isn't so much about the breweries but the quality of the municipal water. I'd guess that Coke or Pepsi bottling facilities drawing off the same water supply would run into the same issues as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 10:15:04 am »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.