Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black Saison sweeter than expected  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Black Saison sweeter than expected
« on: April 30, 2018, 09:01:44 am »
            QTY (lbs)
Light Munich    2.33
Rye Malt          2.80
Maris Otter    2.33
Chocolate Rye    0.60
Choc Wheat   0.20
Special B           0.20
Caramunich   0.20

Yeast was Danstar Belle Saison

4 ozs. cranberries added to fermenter on 4/25/18

Brewed the above for a 4 -gal batch with 1.2 ozs of Fuggles at 30 mins. and 0.8 ozs of Styrian Goldings per the recipe.  Did BIAB mash for 60 mins with initial mash temp at 155 F and finish mash temp at 150 F.

OG was 1.052 and current FG is 1.006 F.  I'm going to check the FG again on Wed. and then if it is the same cold crash prior to bottling.  I tasted the sample I used to check the gravity and like it, but it is sweeter than I anticipated. Perhaps that is because the first hops went in at 30 mins left in the boil.

That said, my previous experience with a black saison was merely drinking a couple of pints.

How long will the cranberries continue to add flavor and tartness?

Comments please and thanks in advance for your advice.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Black Saison sweeter than expected
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:15:25 pm »
Once it is carbonated it won't taste as sweet. Are the hops you used the same AA% as those in the recipe? If not the bitterness level will be different. Also, the same recipe brewed on 2 different setups will almost always net different results.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:18:38 pm by Bob357 »
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Re: Black Saison sweeter than expected
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 02:23:40 pm »
Bob,

You're right about the carbonation.  I've never tasted this recipe before I brewed it, so I don't have anything to compare it to.  I really like the un-carbonated taste.

Thanks for your reply.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!