Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ideas for mixing beers ala Black and Tan  (Read 812 times)

Offline brassrobot

• 1st Kit
Ideas for mixing beers ala Black and Tan
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:16:24 am »
Hey everyone,
New member here with a somewhat odd question. I have a friends wedding coming up and he and his fiancee have asked that I brew beer for their wedding. I have a beer that I have made regularly that is essentially a variation on the Monkey on the Mainline kit recipe. Its got a bit more Molasses in it and uses a Hefeweizen yeast instead of an ale yeast. Its always been a big hit and so they have asked that it be one of the beers I make.

The idea they have is to have a beer that would be a his beer, and one that would be a hers beer. the concept being that you can basically make a layered beer kind of like a snakebite or black and tan to signify their union. I am making the Monkey variant as "his" beer but I am racking my brain to think of a recipe that would compliment it well for "hers"
Just wondering if anyone has done something similar or would have any suggestions for a type or recipe that would work well for this application.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:47:38 am by brassrobot »

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: Ideas for mixing beers ala Black and Tan
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:11:32 pm »
I haven't done the Monkey on the Mainline kit, so this is a bit of a shot in the dark.  But from your mention of extra molasses and a hefe yeast, I'm thinking fruit.  What about a cherry or raspberry ale?  Although with the intention being to combine them, one of the things you'll have to contend with is getting the fruit at a level that best fits with the porter.  I don't know if you'll have time for any trial runs before the wedding.  But I like the Black & Tan idea.  Good luck!