Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hoppy  (Read 1835 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hoppy
« on: May 21, 2018, 05:27:09 pm »
What does hoppy mean? Bitter? Lots of hop aroma/flavor (citrus, floral, etc.)?

I like that Untappd added one word descriptors that users can select to describe beers. You can get a feel for the group think on a beer. For example, Untappd drinkers use the following descriptors for Sierra Nevada Sidecar IPA: citrusy, hoppy, crisp, citrus, and funky. (Note: I don’t get funky for this beer.)

After a while the group think likely gets self-reinforced because users probably select from the short list of common descriptors provided rather than type their own.

One descriptor that comes up a lot is “hoppy”.  Should I check it for bitter beers or hop flavored beers?

PS. Sierra Nevada is so reliable. I love all their beers. Give me Sierra Nevada and Yellow Hammer and I am good.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:28:56 pm by alestateyall »

Offline BrewBama

Re: Hoppy
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 06:31:43 pm »
I check this chart for my Homebrew to try to hit ‘balanced’ to ‘slightly hoppy’.

Not sure what ‘hoppy’ is outside that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:19:26 pm »
Going by that chart hoppy is just bitter.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 05:57:54 am »
Hoppy to me would be aroma/flavor.  Lots of hop presence.  Bitter would be it's own separate thing.  You can have bitter with no aroma, you can also have bitter that's not from hops, roast malts, husks, astringency type bitterness that's not hop related. 

That's just me, it's gonna be different for everyone. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 05:59:03 am »
Hoppy and bitter are not the same thing. Hoppy is the perception of hop-derived flavor or aroma. Bitter is the perception of a drying and bitter sensation at the back of the throat that counters malt and alcohol sweetness.

You can have a bitter beer without hoppiness and you can have a hoppy beer that isn't bitter.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:54:48 am »
This is a problem I came across a lot while bartending.  People, expecially new beer drinkers, shy away from hoppy beers because they automatically associate hoppy and bitter.  I did my best to educate people that hoppy does not always have to be bitter but I feel like its an uphill battle.  Especially after the IBU wars a few years back.
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 12:51:31 pm »
I agree that hoppy should be for hop flavor and bitter for bitter beers. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 03:04:34 pm »
There is no official definition of "hoppy".  It's pretty much a meaningless term. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 03:58:25 pm »
Can I get an example of a beer that would be described as ‘hoppy’ and one that could be described as ‘bitter’?  I am thinking hop bursting at the end of the boil for ‘hoppy’ and earlier additions for ‘bitter’.  Or?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 04:58:47 pm »
Can I get an example of a beer that would be described as ‘hoppy’ and one that could be described as ‘bitter’?  I am thinking hop bursting at the end of the boil for ‘hoppy’ and earlier additions for ‘bitter’.  Or?

NEIPA are hoppy but not bitter.  Bitter without hop flavor and aroma seems less common, but somebody else may have an example. However, I agree, something with lots of early additions but none late would be bitter.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 05:14:27 pm »
There is no official definition of "hoppy".  It's pretty much a meaningless term.
What? So I guess malty, watery and yeasty are right out too.

If hoppy describes a Knee-Pa, then I suppose watery would work to describe the water in a Dortmunder or ESB. Malty works for Scottish, Dunkel, or Stout. And yeasty works for Belgians and Weissen

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 06:43:11 pm »

NEIPA are hoppy but not bitter.  Bitter without hop flavor and aroma seems less common, but somebody else may have an example. However, I agree, something with lots of early additions but none late would be bitter.
I don’t get much aroma or hop flavor from Zum Uerige Altbier, but damn is it bitter. After six you don’t notice.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!