Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trying to hurry bottle carbonation  (Read 2678 times)

Big Monk

Re: Trying to hurry bottle carbonation
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 11:42:04 am »
I've been bottling every batch since 1998.  I can very confidently say that you definitely do NOT need to add any more yeast.  If you do, you'll just have a ton of sludge on the bottom of every bottle, but no advantage from adding it.

I thought of one other concern with my above recommendation of cardboard & light bulb --- be sure to shield the bottles from the light to avoid skunking.  This can be done very simply by covering the bottles with a cloth so they aren't hit by direct light.

For many, there is not a specific reason to add bottling yeast. However, I think there are specific reasons to want to add bottling yeast and it seems you don't have reason to.

I like the consistency and the control it gives me. I also want to bottle with active yeast to scavenge oxygen. In this case, the OP wants to speed up the process to hit a deadline.

It's all in how you look at it. I get very slight sediment from the amount of bottling yeast we are talking about so I can't see there be any issues with tons of sludge. In fact, it's on par with what you see in a bottle of Ommegang or your favorite Trappist ale. They are bottling in the 1-3 M/ml range and I wouldn't call what i see there "sludge" by any stretch of the imagination.

At least that's my experience. YMMV.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:48:54 am by Big Monk »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 12:16:51 pm »

The originally pitched yeast says:

But I suppose you can put more live ones on the cart anyway... if you really want.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 12:17:51 pm »

The originally pitched yeast says:

But I suppose you can put more live ones on the cart anyway... if you really want.

Give 'em an hour under a heat lamp.  ;)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 12:20:27 pm »
Thanks Dave.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 08:55:59 am »
Inquiring minds must know... Which did you decide?