Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thin white film formed on top of bottle  (Read 3741 times)

Offline itsjoao

• 1st Kit
Re: Thin white film formed on top of bottle
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 10:18:52 am »
I've reutilized from commercial beer. They are 600ml. I've washed them prior to bottling with regular detergent. Then, on bottling day I filled them with Iodophor solution, waited a few minutes and bottled. Obviously the priming sugar fed some kind of contamination that was in the beer. I don't think the problem was the bottle, since I' ve been doing this way for some time and never had problems. After fermenting was done, I noticed a subtle smell of fish, but there was nothing wrong visually so I decided to continue anyway. Also it's worthy noting that during bottling and racking some members were infected with a flu virus, although they didn't really do anything. This is the first contamination I had so I don't really know what to do. I'm probably dumping the batch

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 10:25:38 am »
sounds like it was clean during fermentation then got dirty... bottling bucket? siphon? how about your caps? it's in every single bottle right? that rules out dirty bottles i'd vote.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 10:48:09 am »
I would see how they taste instead of throwing them out.  You may have accidentally made something interesting.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 11:09:08 am »
I would see how they taste instead of throwing them out.  You may have accidentally made something interesting.

+1 stash 'em, forget about 'em, and find 'em in a year or so.

Offline itsjoao

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 12:43:23 pm »
sounds like it was clean during fermentation then got dirty... bottling bucket? siphon? how about your caps? it's in every single bottle right? that rules out dirty bottles i'd vote.
Its in most bottles but not all of them. The ones that are fine, haven't carbonated well.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 05:28:12 pm »
Its in most bottles but not all of them. The ones that are fine, haven't carbonated well.
That points towards the bottles or caps. When did you bottle them? If less than a couple/few weeks ago the low carbonation could be simply a waiting game.