Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keezer/Deep Freezer Question  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Bo Buck Brewery

• 1st Kit
Keezer/Deep Freezer Question
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:00:14 pm »
About 3 years ago I built a 3 keg keezer and it has worked flawlessly.  Last month, I decided to go big and purchased a Kenmore deep freezer (24 cu ft).  After building the collar I plugged the deep freezer in.  It worked for 3 weeks and I noticed yellowish "water" in the floor of the deep freezer and I had never put anything inside of the freezer.  Sears exchanged the freezer.  I put the collar on the new freezer and 5 days later, there is yellow "water" in the bottom of this deep freezer. I called Sears and was told new deep freezer compressors do not allow for this type of modification because I am changing the voltage to the compressor.  I called a 3rd party repair technician and he said it's plugged into the wall so I am not changing the voltage.  Has anyone else had any issues with using a new deep freezer? And does this sound accurate?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Keezer/Deep Freezer Question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 07:25:15 pm »
What are you doing to control moisture?  If nothing, get a big bucket (or two) of Damp Rid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:05:43 pm »
I'm with JT. Running a freezer at above freezing temperatures will cause moisture in the air inside it to freeze on the walls when the unit is running and thaw once the unit shuts off. Once the ice thaws it will run down the walls and puddle on the floor of the freezer. The effect will be much greater in a unit that has little or no content to reduce the amount of moist air present. Higher humidity increases the moisture and will increase the amount of water. Products like DampRid collect moisture from the air and can greatly reduce this effect.

I use a product called Dry-Z-Air, made for reducing the humidity in trailers and RVs that spend a lot of time sitting unused. It consists of a plastic tub with a basket suspended above it that you fill with their calcium chloride crystals. The crystals draw the moisture and, once saturated, dissolve allowing the moisture to drop into the tub. Every couple of months I empty the tub and refill the basket if needed. Refills are inexpensive and last for about 8 to 10 months.

Hope this helps.

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline gs650gtd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:06:43 am »
Slat in a cup will also draw the moisture out.I used to own a caravan and when not in use we used this to help prevent damp and mould growth inside.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk