Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BEER ?! for BREAKFAST?! (updated grain bill)  (Read 1885 times)

Offline ninjaslave

• 1st Kit
BEER ?! for BREAKFAST?! (updated grain bill)
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:17:31 am »
Hi guys I have been working on my first all grain batch. heres what i have so far

its for a 1 gallon batch, going for a 45 minute boil
the estimated abv is around 10%, ive been told this might be very sticky

GRAIN BILL
Canadien 2 row malt , 3.2 lbs (80%)
honey malt , .4 lbs (10%)
flaked wheat, .4 lbs(10%)
TOTAL : 4 LBS

im also adding a ph stabilizer to the mash

HOPS BILL

5 minutes in to boil, glacier hops, pellet, alpha 5.5 (I couldnt find the Ibu online)

YEAST
wheat yeast

should I use a different yeast? im considering doing that
brew beer or die trying

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: BEER ?! for BREAKFAST?! (updated grain bill)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:05:18 am »
What are you going for style wise? Or for that matter what flavors do you envision?

Also, pH stabilizer is usually a bad idea. Just get some strips and check your pH. You might not even need to add anything.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 01:43:12 pm »
Definitely cut the pH stabilizer.  It also never does what it's supposed to and gives your beer off flavors.  At least that's what happened with me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ninjaslave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 06:59:08 am »
Definitely cut the pH stabilizer.  It also never does what it's supposed to and gives your beer off flavors.  At least that's what happened with me.

thanks guys, ya i got test strips too just incase i didnt need to add the ph stabalizer

Im going for a pale ale

i want to go for a sweet flavour from my honey malt, and a thick body from my flaked wheat, like a pancake, but i might have to adjust the hops to make up for the sweetnes ithink
brew beer or die trying

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 09:28:24 am »

thanks guys, ya i got test strips too just incase i didnt need to add the ph stabalizer

Im going for a pale ale

i want to go for a sweet flavour from my honey malt, and a thick body from my flaked wheat, like a pancake, but i might have to adjust the hops to make up for the sweetnes ithink

You don't want to use a wheat yeast then, which will give you banana esters and clove phenols. Maybe an English ale or clean American strain.

I'm not sure if I'd consider honey malt "sweet" it is flavorful. For sweetness you might want to add some crystak 20 or 40L

Offline ninjaslave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 08:45:56 am »
I used the wheat yeast, since I had it, brew day was yesterday :)
 i didnt get much, maybe half a gallon or more.
 i also only had 2 pounds of 2 row. instead of 3.2 , but what the hey, im experimenting might as well make mistakes now
I'll try this recipe again, once I see how it turns out.
oh i also might have put a lot of hops in it,

so it might be terrible or suprising.

pre-boil gravity : 1.040
post boil gravity: 1.060

im hoping to at least get like 4% alchohol. doent look like ill get much

conclusion:
will try different yeast for next recipe
get more two row
add more water at mashing process
be more careful with the hops

Ill let you guys know how it went when I get to taste it
brew beer or die trying

Offline ninjaslave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 08:47:27 am »
ps. the yeast fired fast, so thats good, i might just let it ferment for 8-10 days instead of two weeeks
brew beer or die trying

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 04:26:21 pm »
Unless you are taking copious notes about what you are doing on these “experiments” it is going to be very hard to make any determinations of their value.  You are to be commended for trying to come up with your own recipe so soon in your brewing but there are a number of basic things that you should know about ingredients and techniques before you just throw things in a pot and hope for the best.

Perhaps reading a good brewing book or researching a lot on the internet would be a good idea to pick up some better background knowledge.

Keep at it though.... I went almost two years before creating my own Pilsner recipe and first lager. Learned a whole lot in the process and ended up with a great beer for my first attempt. 
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline ninjaslave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 02:57:46 pm »
it turned out really good, cant wait until its done carbonating.

the fg is1.018, so its 5.51 percent abv

these are notes for how the brew tasted before I bottled it, so it isnt carbonated.

aroma:
not a lot ot the smell, smells like a pale ale, a touch of honey and a bit spicy.
a warm aroma

flavor:
a good body, not light, but not heavy like my first beer was(brown ale).
bready, and sweet, the bitterness creeps up as it aerates in your mouth, perfect amount for the honey flavour that companies it (i think ill add more hops to my recipe, since i did put twice as much as I intended to,but the amount seems to be perfect)

Finish:
the finish is bready and sweet, not like a pancake like I was hoping, but its nice, I want to say cornbread, but its not really that. I can find the barley taste in it sometimes too, it reminds me of what it smellt like when i was crushing my barley with two bricks i found in my garden

the finish kind of evolves into just a honey flavour after a while

conclusion:
-I hope that carbonation will lighten up the body, Ive been hoping it will make a good summer bear, even though it tastes like a sweet bread

-i will probably double the hops in my grain bill from 3.5 g to 7 g glacier hops 10 10 minutes into the boil

-next time ill see how it tastes with the right amount of 2 row (3.4 instead of 2 pounds)

brew beer or die trying