Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Doesn't this seem wrong somehow?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Doesn't this seem wrong somehow?
« on: May 18, 2018, 11:51:17 am »
Saw a bottle shop post they had just gotten in some St. Bernardus. Looked at the photo and it was their Witbier in a can. Somehow this just seems wrong...

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Big Monk

Re: Doesn't this seem wrong somehow?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 12:10:16 pm »
Saw a bottle shop post they had just gotten in some St. Bernardus. Looked at the photo and it was their Witbier in a can. Somehow this just seems wrong...

I think you mean shelf stable! Had some the other night after my local store got it in. Delicious.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:41:34 pm »
It's fine by me.

As with any wheat beer, I might feel inclined to tip the bottle or can upside down one time gently to get a little yeast back into suspension... just in case.  I don't mind kristalweizen, but something about a kristalwit would just seem slightly wrong to me... moreso than it being in a can.  In a bottle, I can look for haze prior to popping the cap.  In a can, cannot.  So my little ritual of turning wheats upside down might make even more sense now then.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:43:34 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:35:55 pm »
It's fine by me.

As with any wheat beer, I might feel inclined to tip the bottle or can upside down one time gently to get a little yeast back into suspension... just in case.  I don't mind kristalweizen, but something about a kristalwit would just seem slightly wrong to me... moreso than it being in a can.  In a bottle, I can look for haze prior to popping the cap.  In a can, cannot.  So my little ritual of turning wheats upside down might make even more sense now then.
Belgian witbiers have a different sort of haze than German wheat beers and shouldn't have any sediment to stir up.  They should be hazy without any rousing.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:42:18 pm »
St. Bernardus to me says Westvleteren...I just have nightmares of seeing 12 in a can.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 08:03:47 am »
Makes even more sense for an import beer than domestic (and it makes plenty of sense for domestic).  Glass is heavy and expensive.  More and more breweries are moving to cans.  Cheaper to ship them empty and full, safer to work with on the line, preprinted labels that don't come off them wet...

As far as the style, I do agree a little bit, but at this point it seems pretty far game.  They have sours in cans, barrel aged stouts in cans... it's not just pilsner anymore.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:20:01 am »
Wittekerke has been canning their Witbier for years.  Nice, refreshing beer.
I can see how one could find cans of high gravity Belgians off-putting, but anyone who is any sort of beer geek is going to pour it into a proper glass anyway.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 11:27:32 am »

Guess who else cans their Witbier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 12:10:09 pm »
Guess who else cans their Witbier?

Celis.  :o
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 12:15:22 pm »
lol

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 01:21:25 pm »
Dumb question: Can commercial breweries "bottle condition" in cans or does the beer need to be already carbonated at canning?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 01:32:52 pm »
Dumb question: Can commercial breweries "bottle condition" in cans or does the beer need to be already carbonated at canning?
Sierra Nevada "can conditions."
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 01:45:33 pm »

Actually, they do both at the same time.  Beer is partially force carbed, then bottled or canned with yeast.  The yeast is more for oxygen scavenging than carbing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 03:24:08 pm »

Actually, they do both at the same time.  Beer is partially force carbed, then bottled or canned with yeast.  The yeast is more for oxygen scavenging than carbing.
It's my understanding that is pretty much the standard modern method for commercial bottle conditioning --  carb to within 0.2v/v of target, then dose and package.  But that doesn't preclude any imaginable variation, does it?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 03:37:38 pm »

It's my understanding that is pretty much the standard modern method for commercial bottle conditioning --  carb to within 0.2v/v of target, then dose and package.  But that doesn't preclude any imaginable variation, does it?

Nope.  But after going to Beer Camp at SN and having a chance to brew on their pilot system, I'm pretty certain about how they do it.  Others may vary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell