Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Five Things I Learned About AB-InBev While Reading Barrel-Aged Stout and Selling  (Read 2742 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
The book Bitter Brew by William Knoedelseder talked about the Busch family buying distributorships. They may not own AB anymore, but, it seems there may be ways around three tier laws.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:21:17 pm by alestateyall »

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
You're right that the brewery can't own the distributer (in Iowa, at least, which is my only knowledge base).  The thing to remember is that the brewer's uncle, cousin, sibling or whoever can. 

I'm not, generally, a conspiracy believer but controlling a market doesn't have to be done by single company. 

I just hope everyone learns to play together one of these days.  I know, I'm a dreamer.

Paul
But you're not the only one.

I'm in  that camp as well. Hey, at least Guinness plays nice.

The book Bitter Brew by William Knoedelseder talked about the Busch family buy distributorships. They may now own AB anymore, but, it seems there may be ways around three tier laws.
According to this article in New School Beer, AB already owns several distributors (in Oregon at least) and is trying for more.  Perhaps they don't actually own Maletis, but they tried/are trying to buy Maletis according to this, and this is from several years ago.  I swear I saw an article saying Maletis had been bought, but I can't find it now (of course). 

http://www.newschoolbeer.com/2014/01/anheuser-busch-oregon-beer-distributors-and-the-doj.html

“If breweries own their own distributors, then they are essentially self-distributing, which is only legal in certain states.  For example, because Oregon allows self-distribution, A-B is allowed to purchase Morgan and distribute its own beer.”

This news comes two years after A-B acquired 7 million case distributor Western Beverage Company in Eugene in a deal that is currently being reviewed by the Justice Department.

It looks like this may only apply in Oregon and the other states that allow self-distro, so certainly a state by state issue.
This makes it look like ABI can own 10% of a distributor....https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-document/file/928731/download

All further proof that we need a Federal distribution reform, else what nearly came to pass in Maryland could become the norm.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.