Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Time to bottle?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Time to bottle?
« on: August 16, 2010, 07:00:25 pm »
I brewed up a witbier.  With an overflow still had a gravity of about 1.042.  After primary fermentation I got about 1.013.  Transferred to a secondary a week ago and my gravity is 1.012.  I tasted some of the wort, and i could definitely taste the orange and the coriander.  Should I just go ahead and bottle or let the flavor develop some more in the secondary?  Kit instructions recommend two weeks, but if my gravity is constant, is 2 weeks going to really do much?  I know there's been some debates as to whether secondary is worth it or not, but I figured i'd give it a go.

Thanks.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Time to bottle?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 07:12:56 pm »
Did you add the orange and coriander in the secondary or earlier?  It matters if part of the secondary is to get the flavors from those.  If it is in the secondary, and the orange and coriander is where you want it, go ahead and bottle.  If not, does the beer look and taste like you want it to?  If it does, bottle it.  Depending on how long you had it in the primary, I doubt it will do much more anyway.  1.012 is a pretty good FG for a kit beer, IIRC.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:18:32 pm »
I followed the kit instructions and added the orange and coriander in the last minute of the boil, so there was no flavoring in the secondary.  I am happy with the flavor, when i tasted the wort it tasted like a witbier should.  My gut tells me I should go ahead and bottle. It was in the primary for a week.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:20:15 pm »
I agree with Gordon.  I would bottle it now because this is a beer that is meant to be drunk within 4-6 weeks.  I can't imagine how much better if at all this beer can get in the secondary. YMMV.
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:20:53 pm »
OK, good. Adding the spices at knockout is the right thing. The secondary won't increase their intensity. So if tastes good to you and the gravity has been stable, go ahead and bottle.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:55:15 pm »
I agree with Gordon.  I would bottle it now because this is a beer that is meant to be drunk within 4-6 weeks.  I can't imagine how much better if at all this beer can get in the secondary. YMMV.

Yep... I would just bottle after primary next time. That fresh taste is the best thing about a good witbier!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 02:57:48 pm »
I just bottled my Wit today, F.G. was 1.012 Too!  I only went primary for two and a half weeks, but did add a vodka
tincture of zest for add'l citrus kick at bottling and tasted great.