Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing hops in western MA  (Read 2556 times)

Offline happyjac

• 1st Kit
Growing hops in western MA
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:16:16 pm »
Anyone successfully grown hop rhizomes in western MA? I planted several with my husband last year (Cascade, Golding, and all plants were eaten. We have raised beds and the structure for the plant to grow up, but did not think of fencing. What type of fence would be best? The animal that ate our hops ate every single other plant too (peppers, tomatoes plants, eggplant, etc.).

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Growing hops in western MA
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:26:32 pm »
I’d set up a game camera to figure out what you’re up against. You could build a fence to keep out a rabbit ...but if you have a freakin bear (LOL) now we’re talkin a different fence.

A different approach for
Chipmunks.
Gophers.
Mice.
Moles.
Opossums.
Rabbits.
Raccoons.
Rats.
Etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:28:48 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Growing hops in western MA
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:47:55 pm »
I'm not in Western MA (got peeps there though)  but I've tried growing in NE OH and had big pest problems.  The big pests, from rabbits to deer, I've found are quite effectively deterred by Liquid Fence.  This goes for the whole garden, as you mention other plants, and I find this brand far more effective than similar products.  It's basically just a putrid-smelling (to them, not detectable by humans) but safe-on-food-crops, organic repellent.  The critters think they're smelling something dead, and steer clear of danger.  The next problem is the little pests -- Japanese beetles.  I have no answer for them.  Why I quit trying.

EDIT and hey BrewBama, they do have bear trouble in W MA, maybe that takes care of some of the smaller vermin?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:56:46 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 05:49:57 am »
I want to point out the statement about Liquid Fence being not detectable by people isn't always true.  We tried it one year and the animal it deterred most effectively was me.  I could still smell it 3 months after application.

For what it's worth I can also hear dog whistles.  ::)

Basic point is YMMV, I guess.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 07:42:18 pm »
I grow hops in Western Mass.--this will be my 4th year, but because I live in suburbia, I haven't had the hop animal problems you have. Just today--April 8th--I saw my Northern Brewer plants poking through the ground. I also grow Perle and East Kent Golding. No great harvests so far--my problem, I think, is not knowing when exactly to harvest: I've been too late and too early. Hoping this year will be just right....
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 03:34:57 pm »
Anyone successfully grown hop rhizomes in western MA? I planted several with my husband last year (Cascade, Golding, and all plants were eaten. We have raised beds and the structure for the plant to grow up, but did not think of fencing. What type of fence would be best? The animal that ate our hops ate every single other plant too (peppers, tomatoes plants, eggplant, etc.).

I would try wrapping some chicken or rabbit wire around the shoots of the hop vine. as it grows it will grow though the open top and continue to work its way up.  If you are dealing with deer or climbing animals you will need to figure out a different solution.   
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 12:37:53 pm »

I would try wrapping some chicken or rabbit wire around the shoots of the hop vine. as it grows it will grow though the open top and continue to work its way up.  If you are dealing with deer or climbing animals you will need to figure out a different solution.   
This might work. As long as you can protect the growing tips until they get higher than the pests, you should be good. Losing a few leaves isn't a big deal, but once the tip is nipped off the bine stops growing.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer