Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: help with partial mash to all grain  (Read 931 times)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
help with partial mash to all grain
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:21:55 am »
Hey All,

A few months ago I brewed a partial mash from beersmith called stuck farbucks coffee porter. It contained 6 lbs of DME. I would like to this brew again but do it all grain. Is there a way to figure out what grains and weight to replace the DME? the Recipe is here in case that helps.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/5154/stuck-farbucks-coffee-porter

Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: help with partial mash to all grain
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:57 am »
Different brands and colors of DME can have different ingredients.  Unless you know what's in it, it's hard to find an exact sub.  But let's assume it's all pale malt in the DME with no crystal...grain has about 36 points/lb./gal. if you get all the sugar out of it.  In the real world, that doesn't happen, hence the concept of efficiency...that's what percentage pf sugar you get out of it.  75% efficiency is a fair guess, so let's say you get 25 ppg. from the grain at 75% efficiency.  DME averages around 45 ppg.  So it would take about 1.8 lb. of grain at 75% efficiency to equal a lb. of DME.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell