Author Topic: help with partial mash to all grain  (Read 211 times)

Offline zman51

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
help with partial mash to all grain
« on: May 16, 2018, 03:21:55 PM »
Hey All,

A few months ago I brewed a partial mash from beersmith called stuck farbucks coffee porter. It contained 6 lbs of DME. I would like to this brew again but do it all grain. Is there a way to figure out what grains and weight to replace the DME? the Recipe is here in case that helps.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/5154/stuck-farbucks-coffee-porter

Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: help with partial mash to all grain
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
Different brands and colors of DME can have different ingredients.  Unless you know what's in it, it's hard to find an exact sub.  But let's assume it's all pale malt in the DME with no crystal...grain has about 36 points/lb./gal. if you get all the sugar out of it.  In the real world, that doesn't happen, hence the concept of efficiency...that's what percentage pf sugar you get out of it.  75% efficiency is a fair guess, so let's say you get 25 ppg. from the grain at 75% efficiency.  DME averages around 45 ppg.  So it would take about 1.8 lb. of grain at 75% efficiency to equal a lb. of DME.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewnWKopperKat

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: help with partial mash to all grain
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:29:47 PM »
The recipe calls for 6 lbs of dark LME. 

My first thought would be to try to track down the original all grain recipe.

Is there a way to figure out what grains and weight to replace the DME? the Recipe is here in case that helps.

You may be able to do a "pretty close" conversion if you know the composition of the dark LME.  Some manufacturers will list the composition of their DME/LME at their web site.  For Briess, that information is here: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm.  My concern with this approach is that converting from all-grain to partial mash using dark DME/LME may result in a partial mash recipe that doesn't convert back to a "close enough" all-grain recipe.  As a final note, LME will have a different PPG than DME.