Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canning  (Read 5673 times)

Offline Fzabinski

• 1st Kit
Canning
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:01:48 pm »
Hey guys wondering if anyone has some input on this issue. Just starting canning my beer with this all American canner. I carbonate with a carbonation keg lid set up. I then can in 16oz cans with blichmann beergun. My problem is my beer tastes wayyyy better fresh off the tap then an hour later out of the can. I've made 3 different NEIPA and every single time this happens. The aroma is still there for the most part but I am getting somewhat of an acidic citrusy taste, one homebrewer friend described it as soapy. I sterilize cans and lids with a quick dunk in starsan and set upside down until ready to fill. Any input ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Beerery

Re: Canning
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:51 pm »
Oxidation. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:18:05 am »
Why would you think it would be any more oxidized after an hour in a can than off a tap into a glass?  Perhaps you could see if the same off flavor is there after letting the tapped beer sit in the glass for an hour to simulate oxidation.
I would be more inclined to think there is something not clean in the beer gun or the can.  Perhaps you could try pouring a beer into a glass off the tap using the beer gun to see if the defect is there.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Big Monk

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:57:13 am »
Hey guys wondering if anyone has some input on this issue. Just starting canning my beer with this all American canner. I carbonate with a carbonation keg lid set up. I then can in 16oz cans with blichmann beergun. My problem is my beer tastes wayyyy better fresh off the tap then an hour later out of the can. I've made 3 different NEIPA and every single time this happens. The aroma is still there for the most part but I am getting somewhat of an acidic citrusy taste, one homebrewer friend described it as soapy. I sterilize cans and lids with a quick dunk in starsan and set upside down until ready to fill. Any input ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Are you seaming them one at a time?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:23:39 am »
See if you can rig up a way to purge the cans with co2 first. Blast the headspace with co2 right when you put the lid on and make sure you see foam coming out from under the seam before you seam.

Big Monk

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:28:26 am »
See if you can rig up a way to purge the cans with co2 first. Blast the headspace with co2 right when you put the lid on and make sure you see foam coming out from under the seam before you seam.

Yeah, you definitely need to purge the cans first. Industry standard is 3 vacuum purge cycles but a CO2 purge is better than not purging at all.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:38:42 am »

Yeah, you definitely need to purge the cans first. Industry standard is 3 vacuum purge cycles but a CO2 purge is better than not purging at all.
He did say he was using a beer gun, which has a purge mechanism built into it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Big Monk

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 11:01:45 am »

He did say he was using a beer gun, which has a purge mechanism built into it.

Right, I missed that at first, but looking at the Blichmann manual, it calls for a short burst (5 seconds) of CO2. I'm not sure that is sufficient for a 16 oz. can.

Also, you'd need to can on foam and seam right away. For best results at least. That's why I ask if he was seaming one at a time as well. Cans are going to have a higher initial DO load when packaged.

The Beerery is our resident canning expert:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncategorized/packaging-canning-beer-home/

The Beerery

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 11:18:04 am »
Why would you think it would be any more oxidized after an hour in a can than off a tap into a glass?  Perhaps you could see if the same off flavor is there after letting the tapped beer sit in the glass for an hour to simulate oxidation.
I would be more inclined to think there is something not clean in the beer gun or the can.  Perhaps you could try pouring a beer into a glass off the tap using the beer gun to see if the defect is there.
deleted by mod

I thought we were past this?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:59:09 am by denny »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 11:54:29 am »
My foot is burning, says the man while standing on a bed of hot coals. Maybe it’s athletes foot.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 11:58:14 am »
Ya know, I'll remove that comment and any subsequent ones I made.  I don't want to get everyone stirred up over a joke.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 11:58:22 am »
Oxidation is the most obvious culprit in this case. Yes, another issue could be the root cause, but I’d remove the most obvious culprit first.

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 12:05:47 pm »
Oxidation is the most obvious culprit in this case. Yes, another issue could be the root cause, but I’d remove the most obvious culprit first.

This is the point I think is being missed. Troubleshooting 101 is isolating the most obvious issue. In this case you have a style and packaging susceptible to oxidation.

If the OP is proficient at canning, you can eliminate that. Canning is, however, a new and daunting thing for homebrewers. The assumption is that someone who has invested money in canning is not struggling with cleaning their beergun and sanitizing their cans and lids.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:09:10 pm by Big Monk »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 12:33:57 pm »

In an hour?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 12:35:23 pm »

This is the point I think is being missed. Troubleshooting 101 is isolating the most obvious issue. In this case you have a style and packaging susceptible to oxidation.

If the OP is proficient at canning, you can eliminate that. Canning is, however, a new and daunting thing for homebrewers. The assumption is that someone who has invested money in canning is not struggling with cleaning their beergun and sanitizing their cans and lids.

If he hadn't said it happened in an hour, I'd be more inclined to think that oxidation was the obvious cause.  As it is, I consider it a possibility, not a certainty.

www.dennybrew.com