Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Canning  (Read 5586 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Canning
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2018, 12:01:58 pm »
It's the BPA in the can linings

(and before anyone goes nuts, that's a joke.  Well, sorta)

Given that this is an IPA, I actually was wondering about that (not the BPA specifically, though). Do hop oils adsorb to can liners, and would it happen to the extent where it would have a noticible impact on flavor? (I'm a canning noob, so I am asking this as much for my own insight as positing a possible mechanism for the OP's original question)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2018, 12:35:28 pm »

Given that this is an IPA, I actually was wondering about that (not the BPA specifically, though). Do hop oils adsorb to can liners, and would it happen to the extent where it would have a noticible impact on flavor? (I'm a canning noob, so I am asking this as much for my own insight as positing a possible mechanism for the OP's original question)

If that was the case, wouldn't we have heard about it?  Wouldn't breweries stop using cans for IPA?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 01:07:29 pm »

Is Heady Topper still can only? That would at least point to anecdotal evidence.

If that was the case, wouldn't we have heard about it?  Wouldn't breweries stop using cans for IPA?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Fzabinski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 05:50:17 pm »
Thanks everyone I look forward to doing a few side by side experiments.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 05:44:17 pm »
Ya know, I'll remove that comment and any subsequent ones I made.  I don't want to get everyone stirred up over a joke.
You know what they say about people that can't take a joke.

They have no sense of humor. 😉
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women