Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Kirk

• Cellarman
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale
« on: May 17, 2018, 05:51:38 am »
This is the first time I've tried using the Wyeast Northwest Ale, and Wyeast specifically. I've previously only used White Labs WLP001 and safale US 05, and a couple others.

I'm noticing a much larger head of Krausen (very sticky too) than with the others, and it is extremely slow to flocculate and drop out. The Krausen was very thick, with very large bubbles (ironically it didn't create much CO2 as the airlock never moved). This is day 12 in the primary and there is still a small film of foam. The attenuation appears in the normal range, so I don't feel like there is an infection. The WLP001 would have finished by now and I would be into the diacetyl rest.

I've been checking the gravity daily and everything tastes fine as well.

Just curious if anyone else has any experience with this yeast?

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:13:05 am »
I use WY 1332 for an American brown ale.  Often have gotten a very yeasty krausen.  Give it time.  The krausen will drop the same as a frothy krausen.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:01:03 am »
It's been a few years since I have used this yeast, but IIRC it had a thick, lingering krausen but was clean with some fruity esters and highly flocculant

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Kirk

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:02:32 am »
Thanks guys....I was a little worried I wouldn't like the taste of this beer at first. Now, it tastes quite clean actually. I'll give it a few more days and see what happens.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 10:47:59 am »
Let it sit for another week undisturbed.  All the sampling exposes the beer to contamination.