Imperial G03 (the same as WLP029?)
1 (14.3%)
W-177 (whatever that is)
0 (0%)
K97 (not my thing)
1 (14.3%)
you're an idiot, there are really only two strains well suited for Kolsch
2 (28.6%)
something else (inland island looks interesting)
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: non WLP/WY Kolsch yeast  (Read 7690 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: non WLP/WY Kolsch yeast
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 06:00:00 pm »
Looking forward to hearing the comparison.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 10:24:49 pm »
Still my favorite Kolsch yeast is Giga 021. I brew Kolsch frequently when I’m brewing. Not sure where or what strain it is, but it is what I now use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 05:59:19 am »
I love it when people say "that kolsch strain is too clean almost pilsner like" .... because when in Cologne that's usually what you are going to find. These aren't ester filled beers. They are clean, crisp and quaffable. I do admit to trying to squeeze out a little more chardonnay character out of my kolsch but in Cologne much of the beers are very, very clean with only a  little ester presence.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 04:58:28 pm »
I love it when people say "that kolsch strain is too clean almost pilsner like" .... because when in Cologne that's usually what you are going to find. These aren't ester filled beers. They are clean, crisp and quaffable. I do admit to trying to squeeze out a little more chardonnay character out of my kolsch but in Cologne much of the beers are very, very clean with only a  little ester presence.
Interesting, I’ve never been there to have that first hand experience. I didn’t know that. I guess I always try for that vinous character. Thanks

Jeff B

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 06:21:02 pm »
My 2 cents:
Keep the recipe simple (have you tried 100% pilsner malt?).  Avoid late hops (read: first wort only).  IMO correct water is a big factor here - Martin did a great write up on this a while back for Zymurgy I think.  WLP029 is my go to.  As Major mentioned, in can be temperature finicky.  I've had sluggish starts at 62° while 64° takes off.
I love this style and brew a lot of it. 
This simple approach took BOS at Beer & Sweat last year (humblebrag).  Happy to share any and all info you want. 

Edit: Zymurgy feature was May/June 2017.  "Water for Kölsch Brewing" by Martin Brungard.  Featured in "Kölsch" by Dave Clark. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:43:45 pm by JT »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 08:08:19 am »
My 2 cents:
Keep the recipe simple (have you tried 100% pilsner malt?).  Avoid late hops (read: first wort only).  IMO correct water is a big factor here - Martin did a great write up on this a while back for Zymurgy I think.  WLP029 is my go to.  As Major mentioned, in can be temperature finicky.  I've had sluggish starts at 62° while 64° takes off.
This simple approach took BOS at Beer & Sweat last year (humblebrag).  Happy to share any and all info you want. 

Edit: Zymurgy feature was May/June 2017.  "Water for Kölsch Brewing" by Martin Brungard.  Featured in "Kölsch" by Dave Clark.

Thanks for the information! As you alluded to, I always assumed a good kolsch had a different yeast character than lagers which is part of the reason I am drawn to them.

I have tweaked so many things over the years that it's hard to remember what has worked best for me. I have done 100% pilsner malt before. For my next one, maybe I will just simplify as you suggest and go from there.

What IBU figure do you shoot for?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:10:41 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 08:15:40 am »

My 2 cents:

20-25 IBUs.  Ignore the temptation to drop a small amount of a bitterring hop like magnum.  Instead, use a more generous charge of a noble hop (or noble-ish hop like Perle). 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 08:19:59 am »

My 2 cents:

20-25 IBUs.  Ignore the temptation to drop a small amount of a bitterring hop like magnum.  Instead, use a more generous charge of a noble hop (or noble-ish hop like Perle).

Got. I did do a FWH charge of 100% spalt once and liked the results. Perle sounds like a good option since it has higher AA%.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 10:07:32 pm »
IMO, 2565 is the only kolsch yeast that give the results I want.

Very helpful! What others have you used?

I am really interested in trying the few that Inland Island offers. They are located here in denver so maybe you can't or haven't tried them.

https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-572-golden-kolsch-style-ale/
https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-571-kolsch-style-ale/
https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-573-german-hybrid-ale/

Ive used INIS571 a couple times and I think it’s close to 029.  It’s too clean for my taste, it doesn’t have that pear profile and mouth feel I look for and I’ve gone back to 2565 on my latest kölsch(kegging on Wednesday). 

The word is, 571 is from a local brewery you should know...Call to Arms.  I dint care for their kölsch at all. 

I’m curious which brewery gave you their ferm schedule? I’d like to know if you don’t mind sharing.  The only commercial kölsch I’ve liked in CO is from joyride and steamworks isn’t bad. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2018, 10:26:33 pm »
IMO, 2565 is the only kolsch yeast that give the results I want.

Very helpful! What others have you used?

I am really interested in trying the few that Inland Island offers. They are located here in denver so maybe you can't or haven't tried them.

https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-572-golden-kolsch-style-ale/
https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-571-kolsch-style-ale/
https://inlandislandyeast.com/yeast-library/inis-573-german-hybrid-ale/

Ive used INIS571 a couple times and I think it’s close to 029.  It’s too clean for my taste, it doesn’t have that pear profile and mouth feel I look for and I’ve gone back to 2565 on my latest kölsch(kegging on Wednesday). 

The word is, 571 is from a local brewery you should know...Call to Arms.  I dint care for their kölsch at all. 

I’m curious which brewery gave you their ferm schedule? I’d like to know if you don’t mind sharing.  The only commercial kölsch I’ve liked in CO is from joyride and steamworks isn’t bad. 

It was New Terrain. Most local attempts miss the style by a long ways in my opinion but I really enjoyed theirs. Haven’t been to call to arms in some time so I have never tried their kolsch however I do like their beers