Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Should I remake my starter?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline bigpete225

• 1st Kit
Should I remake my starter?
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:36:16 am »
Quick starter question... This past weekend I had intended to brew a DIPA and made a 2L starter of WLP007 but wasn't able to get around to brewing, now I have this starter sitting in the fridge.  I plan on giving it another go this coming weekend.  Should I just warm up this starter, decant and pitch as normal or should I kick up a new starter using the yeast from the first?

Thanks for your feedback!

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
Re: Should I remake my starter?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:53:26 am »
What will your OG be? Without knowing I'm leaning towards suggesting a decant and pitch.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 09:57:22 am »
I wouldn't even warm it up.  Just decant and pitch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bigpete225

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:31:12 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm shooting for about 1.080 OG.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:07:52 pm »
I’m just curious what you are worried about? Cell count? Pouring in some bad beer?
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Kirk

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:07:15 am »
Honestly....not sure if you should reheat it. I would decant and let it warm up some for sure.

1.080 is pretty stiff....do you think you have enough cells even in 2L? I'm estimating you need about 400 billion (1 million cells/ml/Plato.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:55:57 am »
Honestly....not sure if you should reheat it. I would decant and let it warm up some for sure.

1.080 is pretty stiff....do you think you have enough cells even in 2L? I'm estimating you need about 400 billion (1 million cells/ml/Plato.

good thought. depending on how the starter was prepared, mrmalty.com agrees... if you had it on a stirplate the calculator says you're good with 2L.  i know there has been a lot of discussion on the accuracy of these tools, so take it for what it's worth.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:35:36 pm »
FWIW, you could make your wort, chill it to pitching temp and run off a liter or so; "shake it like it owes you money", pitch the yeast into the shaken wort and cover with foil for a few hours, then pitch the whole thing into the wort for the whole batch.  Then watch it take off.  My experience is that this makes the best starter and this approach is endorsed by Klackitat Jim (the yeast whisperer) and Denny (the Experimenter and questioner of all conventional things homebrew), as far as I recall, at least.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 03:22:51 pm »
FWIW, you could make your wort, chill it to pitching temp and run off a liter or so; "shake it like it owes you money", pitch the yeast into the shaken wort and cover with foil for a few hours, then pitch the whole thing into the wort for the whole batch.  Then watch it take off.  My experience is that this makes the best starter and this approach is endorsed by Klackitat Jim (the yeast whisperer) and Denny (the Experimenter and questioner of all conventional things homebrew), as far as I recall, at least.
Ha! My endorsement, good one.

But, yup. That's what I would do, except I'm too lazy to shake and would use O2.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 06:16:46 am »

verrrrrrrry interestingggg... can't wait to try it!!