Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Volume of Sugar by weight needed...  (Read 1727 times)

Offline pertinax92

• 1st Kit
  • Affirmative.
Volume of Sugar by weight needed...
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:43:39 pm »
Hello!

I'm currently watching a batch of berliner-weisse bubble away, I've made up a recipe based on the "brewing with wheat" book, to which the instructions on bottling read: bottle with krausen to 4.00 volumes of CO2 on the third day of fermentation. 

Well... I didn't keep any krausen, and was planning on using priming sugar.  The math (taken from "Brewing by the Numbers,"(Zymurgy, Summer, 1995)) for the right volume (I'm fermenting at approx 75 degrees F) would be approx 257 grams of corn sugar...  This assumes complete fermentation... 

What I'm not sure about is if I'll have complete fermentation after three days.  According to the book, you just bottle it up anyway.  Anyone have any suggestions for it?  My OG was approx 1.030, so I'll take a gravity reading on the third day to confirm, but I'm not sure if it's SUPPOSED to be done or not.  I need help!  I'm going to cork and bottle in used Ommegang bottles, so I think they can handle the pressure, but I don't want to get above 4.00 volumes! 

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

~Snax~

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Volume of Sugar by weight needed...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »
With an OG of 1.030, it's not unreasonable for it to be finished in 3 days, especially at 75F.  What yeast are you using, and how much did you pitch?  You could pull a sample and force ferment it to see where it will finish, but with only 3 days . . . well, it's worth a try.  You're already at 75F, but if you had a small sample you were stirring then you could see how low it will drop.

Maybe someone else will have some other ideas.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 01:42:02 am »
Actually, i was trying to fault the logic of this but then was like hmm... yeah?

However, 257g = about 9oz. Is corn sugar 100% fermentable? Is this enough to get it to 4 volumes?

For 5 gallons it does.

Yes! Do it...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pertinax92

• 1st Kit
  • Affirmative.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 06:41:30 am »
thanks guys.  I was just nervous about dropping that much sugar in there. 
~Snax~