Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Long term bottle and cap/cork methods  (Read 1741 times)

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Long term bottle and cap/cork methods
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:59:58 am »
Been a few threads of late on what to beers/mead/etc to make to save for multiyear celebrations, and how to bottle them in terms of carbonation, and transfer.

I have a mead that I made during spring chemo fun that I want to bottle and celebrate for many years to come!

Any thoughts on the right combination of bottle, cork, cap, etc for say 25+ years?

I have a both a corker and a capper.

Is there a difference in cork quality, natural vs regular matter.  Store on the side to keep moist for a mead apply like in wine?  Seal with wax, etc?  I'm not sure side storage will work out for me, so synthetic corks ok long term?  

Would wax work similar to this method : http://www.practicalwinery.com/sepoct09/prevent.htm
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:01:58 pm by beerrat »

Offline pertinax92

• 1st Kit
  • Affirmative.
Re: Long term bottle and cap/cork methods
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:00:59 pm »
are you going for looks or function?

I have some sparkling mead that I made that I have plans for 21 years (I made it for a celebration of a good friend's first child, and I plan on giving them one a year til she is 21, and they can all share it together)... I just capped and then sealed with wax... It isn't pretty, but I'm fairly confident it will hold.

For looks I'd say maybe a plastic cork and wax.  should do the trick.
~Snax~

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Long term bottle and cap/cork methods
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:23:44 pm »
are you going for looks or function?

I'm going for function.   I have used the cap and wax, but since not seen on commercial examples of wines, thought may be good for a shorter pan - say 5 year.  I'm thinking cork and wax less prone to getting the wax or cap knocked off due to mishandling over the course of a decade or two.

I'm likely making this too complex ;-)  Cork and wax and relax and have a home brew in 10 years ;-)