Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops: how old is too old?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Hops: how old is too old?
« on: May 19, 2018, 02:06:34 am »
Going through the hops in the freezer to get ready for my brew day tomorrow, and I'm realizing that I have hops going all the way back to 2013 harvest (fortunately they are all labelled with the harvest year).  I know the 2016 are still fine, but I'm wondering if the older ones should go.  They are all vacuum sealed and have been kept frozen.  Hate to throw them away if they are still usable.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Hops: how old is too old?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 05:52:13 am »
Greetings Joel - my suggestion is to go ahead and use them.  If they have been shielded from both light and air while kept frozen, the odds are they’re still usable.  Will they carry their full potential as fresh hops?  I doubt it.  But using them in an IPA, for example, along with other fresh hops certainly can’t hurt.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 06:08:05 am »
If they smell good, they're good.  If they smell freezer-burned, they're not.  If in between, they're in between and thus should be reserved for bittering only.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Horseflesh

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 12:01:34 pm »
I keep a lot of spices in the freezer... some in vacuum bags, some just in heavy-duty ziplocks. I've had them for years and they are all still great. I bet your vac-sealed hops are probably fine too.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 12:04:41 pm »
Anything that is deemed "too old", if it hasn't gone bad, could potentially be saved for future use as aged hops in sour applications.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 09:55:13 pm »
I would say that it depends on what you want to use them for.  If for flavor and aroma (oils), go with your nose.  If for alpha acids... I wouldn't without finding out what the HSI is and doing the calculation to see what is still there in terms of bittering ability.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton