Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Searching For Best Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe! (All Grain Please)  (Read 12970 times)

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
Re: Searching For Best Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Recipe! (All Grain Please)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 12:49:16 pm »
I think I got the following recipe from BYO magazine in 2008.  I haven't brewed it but I tasted a friend's clone and scored it 43 per BJCP guidelines at the time.

One thing I do know is that they definitely use whole hop cones, not pellets.  Don't know about boil time.

Also mentioned for the recipe below is that they did NOT dry hop, at least not in 2008.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone
6.5 gallons

OG=1.053
FG=1.011
ABV=5.6%
IBU=32
SRM=7

11.5 lb Pale Malt (2-Row)
1 lb Crystal 60
0.5 oz Magnum (13.6% alpha, 60 min)
0.5 oz Perle (7.7% alpha, 30 min)
1 oz Cascade (5.8% alpha, 10 min)
2 oz Cascade (5.8% alpha, flameout)
US-05

Mash at 153 F for 1 hour.  Ferment 7 days at 68 F.  Dry hop IF desired, but Sierra Nevada doesn't.  Carbonate as normal.

When I plug this into BeerSmith, the SRM comes out at 9.42 which is higher than the above specs and feels a little darker than SNPA and C-60 seems a little too caramel for the flavor, too.  I’ve seen C-40 in some of these SNPA recipes and that feels a little closer to the color and flavor profile to me.  I’m sure I’d love the above, too, and have made very similar APAs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 01:41:57 pm »
I guarantee you that they use C60.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 01:51:22 pm »
I think I got the following recipe from BYO magazine in 2008.  I haven't brewed it but I tasted a friend's clone and scored it 43 per BJCP guidelines at the time.

One thing I do know is that they definitely use whole hop cones, not pellets.  Don't know about boil time.

Also mentioned for the recipe below is that they did NOT dry hop, at least not in 2008.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone
6.5 gallons

OG=1.053
FG=1.011
ABV=5.6%
IBU=32
SRM=7

11.5 lb Pale Malt (2-Row)
1 lb Crystal 60
0.5 oz Magnum (13.6% alpha, 60 min)
0.5 oz Perle (7.7% alpha, 30 min)
1 oz Cascade (5.8% alpha, 10 min)
2 oz Cascade (5.8% alpha, flameout)
US-05

Mash at 153 F for 1 hour.  Ferment 7 days at 68 F.  Dry hop IF desired, but Sierra Nevada doesn't.  Carbonate as normal.

When I plug this into BeerSmith, the SRM comes out at 9.42 which is higher than the above specs and feels a little darker than SNPA and C-60 seems a little too caramel for the flavor, too.  I’ve seen C-40 in some of these SNPA recipes and that feels a little closer to the color and flavor profile to me.  I’m sure I’d love the above, too, and have made very similar APAs.

The recipe above for a 6.5gallon batch.  You'll want to adjust for your system/process/efficiency.  At ~5.25g batch at 75%eff you'd want to reduce to ~0.75lb C60, and use 2-2.25lb less malt.... or thereabouts.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 04:25:57 pm »
The recipe above for a 6.5gallon batch.  You'll want to adjust for your system/process/efficiency.  At ~5.25g batch at 75%eff you'd want to reduce to ~0.75lb C60, and use 2-2.25lb less malt.... or thereabouts.

Right on.  Great points.  A recipe that works for one brewer might need to be adjusted to work for another brewer.  Always keep it in mind.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.