Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speaking of Weizen...  (Read 3431 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Speaking of Weizen...
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 10:52:48 am »
I've recently read on the BeerAdvocate forum from Bryan "The Beerery" that high pH is actually a *good* thing for hefeweizens......... so probably don't need to add any lactic acid at all!?

Cheers.

How high?  And why?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Speaking of Weizen...
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 11:00:21 am »
I also read that.

With the 5 ml lactic Bru’n water says it’ll be 5.31. Without it 5.59 which isn’t terribly high. But that doesn’t account for the ferulic rest (I don’t think).

I’ve read “the ferulic acid works best at a mash pH of 5.7–5.8, higher than you would normally want your mash pH to be (5.2–5.6). If you need to acidify your mash to get into the 5.2–5.6 range, you might want to wait and do it after the ferulic acid rest.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:22:51 am by BrewBama »

Offline Brewtopalonian

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 11:13:40 am »
Hi BrewBama,.

You might appreciate this.  I just brewed a weizen last weekend and used a decoction mash.  That's the most traditional method from what I've read.  I mashed in at 113*F and then decocted to raise my temp to 122* then another decoction for 149* and the mash out decoction of 168*.  I'll be honest.... I didn't always hit my temp with one decoction, so I had to take another, boil it, return it and rinse and repeatedly until I got my temp.  I have no idea how this batch will turn out, but it was a great learning experience.

As far as your pH concerns, weizens are typically higher pH beers.  So 5.59 is perfectly acceptable.  I wouldn't add any acid at all.  If you do add acid, add lactic (as per Martin's suggestion) and do it only after your acid rest. 

I am curious though, why are you doing a 45min acid rest?  I don't think you'll get any additional benefits from going longer than 20min.  Just curious.

When you drink it, please let us all know how it came out!  I'd love to see the result.  I'll share mine when it's ready too.

Good luck, happy brewday!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 11:33:29 am »
Hi BrewBama,.

You might appreciate this.  I just brewed a weizen last weekend and used a decoction mash.  That's the most traditional method from what I've read.  I mashed in at 113*F and then decocted to raise my temp to 122* then another decoction for 149* and the mash out decoction of 168*.  I'll be honest.... I didn't always hit my temp with one decoction, so I had to take another, boil it, return it and rinse and repeatedly until I got my temp.  I have no idea how this batch will turn out, but it was a great learning experience.

As far as your pH concerns, weizens are typically higher pH beers.  So 5.59 is perfectly acceptable.  I wouldn't add any acid at all.  If you do add acid, add lactic (as per Martin's suggestion) and do it only after your acid rest. 

I am curious though, why are you doing a 45min acid rest?  I don't think you'll get any additional benefits from going longer than 20min.  Just curious.

When you drink it, please let us all know how it came out!  I'd love to see the result.  I'll share mine when it's ready too.

Good luck, happy brewday!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thx for the feedback. I think you’re right about just letting the pH ride.

To be honest, not sure where I got the 45 min 113*F rest. I’ve seen everything from 10 to 30 min but I got it from somewhere. LOL

The Beerery

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 12:21:56 pm »
Yes, FA needs a higher pH. Also the higher pH promotes more alpha to help break down the wheat more. None of zee professional (read macro) German brewers touch weizen pH.

FA rest times absolutely matters. You use that rest time to determine the 3 flavors of weizen.. Estery, yeasty, and phenolic.

All this is in Kunze Chapter 7.

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »
Great discussion. Interesting how so many roads lead to Rome. I was looking at Weyermann’s website and while they don’t have a Weissbier recipe they do have an Amber Wheat beer recipe. In it they call for WB-06. Blasphemy: Dry Yeast!

Weyermann used to have a weissbier recipe on their site.  I don't know why it disappeared, but it's the one I use. 

63% wheat
24% pils
10% carahell
3% sauer

15 IBU's
Wyeast 3068 (they rec'd a different yeast, but that's what I use)

If done right, spot on for fresh Paulaner and definitely better than any Paulaner you can get in the states.
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.