Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Read vs. Unread  (Read 2454 times)

Offline jeff

• 1st Kit
Read vs. Unread
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:18:42 am »
I'm confused about read vs. unread categories/topics/messages.  Can somebody help me understand how it works in this forum?

It looks like once I click on a category, it considers that entire category as read.  After some trial and error, I discovered that clicking on the envelope next to the category after it has turned gray will only show "unread" messages, but there doesn't seem to be much correlation between what it thinks I've read and what I've actually read.  Clicking on the category name apparently shows all topics, read or unread.  Is that right?  If so, is clicking on the envelope useful somehow?

After more trial and error, it looks like the little blue "new" icon really means "read".  Seeing messages from May marked as new clued me in to that.  If somebody posts a reply to a message, does it become "new" again for me?

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Read vs. Unread
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:26:23 am »
Jeff,

Yeah, the unread/read is al a little wonky.

The envelope stays dark grey until you view the category. When you click on the image, it should display all hte messages in that category you haven't viewed.

The "new" icon means you haven't viewed a message in that particular topic and yeah if someone replies in a thread you've viewed, it gets a "new" icon.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 05:21:57 am »
I like the read/unread stuff. Here’s what I do.

The first time this will show you everything. Go ahead and click "mark all messages as read” because you weren’t going to read them all anyway. Go away and come back tomorrow.

Log in and click “Unread” again. This time, there are only a handful of topics. Maybe two or three pages if it’s been busy.

Open each of the ones you want to read in its own tab, then click "mark all messages as read.” Read the articles you opened.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. :)
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 05:28:34 am »
This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks, brushvalleybrewer.  It will make this forum much easier to navigate.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jeff

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:03:57 am »
Thanks for the help!

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 10:22:58 am »
This info makes the forum so much easier. Thanks
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter