Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yogurt Whey into booze  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Yogurt Whey into booze
« on: June 01, 2018, 10:54:52 am »
https://theoutline.com/post/4736/greek-yogurt-acid-whey-alcohol-beverage-waste-economy-sustainable

It seems like it could be a nice option for making milkshake IPA's and other beers that would normally need a bit of acid and non fermentable sugars. Definitely an interesting sounding product.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Yogurt Whey into booze
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:26:11 am »
The lactose intolerant community is going to love this.

As someone who's lactose intolerant, let's keep dairy out of traditional non-dairy things. I'm OK with not being able to have milk stouts, I'm no OK with someone boosting a beer and not saying anything about it.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Yogurt Whey into booze
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:14:35 pm »
I don't know how much of a "small" amount can cause problems, but there should be very little lactose left in yogurt.  Lactobacillus turns that into lactic acid. 

I'm not quite sure I understand the process of what they are doing here.  Using bacteria to convert the lactose to galactose, which is still not fermentable by regular yeast, that I know of, so they must be using brett to create the alcohol.  Either way, this is a lot of technology to throw at a waste product.  I understand wanting to be resourceful and use things, but not when the end result will be drastically more expensive than a standard product.  Who wants a 12$ pint of 3% beer? It should add value but not be over the top.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year