Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Interesting article, maybe  (Read 1240 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Interesting article, maybe
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:15:07 pm »
I could swear I read something about this a few months ago.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 03:15:30 pm »
A few notes
- Researchers do not appear to be brewers
- Research has not been peer-reviewed
- Taste comparison test has not been done yet (if somebody has it please share)
- Main study is from 2016, and no taste data until now, when the only thing they needed to do is to repeat the experiment and assemble a taste panel...

Seems to me they tasted the beer and everything stopped at that point.

Cheers

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 04:19:19 pm »
Yes there are some obvious factual errors, but I wasn’t sure whether that was due to the reporter not knowing anything about brewing or something deeper.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 09:57:37 pm »
“Dry milling of malts becomes irrelevant with the new installation, since malts are pulverized by the cavitational processes down to less than 100 µm in size within a few minutes,”

In other words we get malt flour in the boil kettle. Thanks, but no thanks!

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 05:53:33 am »
This got posted in the Beervana blog facebook.. and I just don't understand it at all.  First I have to assume this was on a really small scale, say 1 kilo of grain? Maybe even bench top? I can't imagine the size impeller you'd need for a 100bbl lauter tun. 

The article itself doesn't make sense.. A lot of info missing...

Last, the claim to remove a step, sparge, doesn't make sense either, you still have to rinse the grain to get the sugar off, possibly need more water volume to get stuff to move from lauter to boil kettle so it's not oatmeal thick, and then adding mixers and motors to a lauter tun is just going to add maintenance and cleaning nightmares.

This is a solution without a problem...
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 05:56:22 am »

NEIPA anyone?
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 06:03:41 am »

NEIPA anyone?

LOL! But I'm sure the mash is run through a mash filter. The real problem I see is that while there doesn't appear to be any milling seems like they would need to remove the husk or the beer would be super astringent.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 06:29:02 am »
Perhaps, but the overall temp never went above 172F. I don't recall at the moment the exact temps to avoid, but 175F sticks in my brain as the temp to stay below. The question is does the cavitation cause astringency in and of itself or does the entire wort volume need to be exposed. One other issue I just thought of is if the wort is boiled at the low temp what does that do to the volume and boiloff rate.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:02:39 am »
Perhaps, but the overall temp never went above 172F. I don't recall at the moment the exact temps to avoid, but 175F sticks in my brain as the temp to stay below. The question is does the cavitation cause astringency in and of itself or does the entire wort volume need to be exposed. One other issue I just thought of is if the wort is boiled at the low temp what does that do to the volume and boiloff rate.

The temp to avoid tannin extraction is 175 but it is also pH dependent. IIRC over 5.8. And it is also because of the husks. So if they remove the husk shouldn't be a problem.