Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbing beers  (Read 1117 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Carbing beers
« on: May 24, 2018, 01:34:00 am »
I am trying to get better at carbing beers and am looking for pointers. I bottle and keg. The last time I bottled I used carbonation drops. 2 drops in 750ml bottles and the beers are great, I would probably do 3 drops if I wanted a very high carbonated beer.
In the past I have added priming sugar into a bottling bucket and xfered the beer and then xfered again with a bottling wand. I feel like the consistency of carbed beers done by this method is not as good as the drops. I have tried stirring the bottling bucket, adding the sugar in the beginning and middle of the first xfer, etc.
I think I will be using drops from here on out, any comments?
Secondly, Kegging. Where i would like he most help.
I do not have an exact science for achieving proper volumes of CO2 in my kegs. I have read pages like this,
https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/
Looked at charts etc.
Typically when I carbonate I beer I set my regulator to around 22psi. Right now it’s at 27 because he Aussie sparkling I just put on says high to very high carbonation. I leave 5e beer at this pressure for a few days. Then I purge my keg and reset the psi to around 8 for pouring.
My CO2 line rises up about 30 inches to a manifold and the lines drop down 12-18 inches to my 3 kegs. The bottom CO2 line is 2 feet, the top is 3 feet long because it has to travel further. All of my liquid lines rise 18 inches to the faucets and all the lines are 8’ 3/16”ID beverage lines.
Can anyone recommend anything to me about keg carbing beers? Or comment on my lines or method?
Everything works, looking for pointers.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Carbing beers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 05:32:18 am »
For all things related to draft beer, including balancing your system, length of lines, carbonation vs. psi, elevation, etc., a great reference is the Deaught Beer Quality Manual which you can download from the Brewers Association website.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Carbing beers
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:17:07 am »
For all things related to draft beer, including balancing your system, length of lines, carbonation vs. psi, elevation, etc., a great reference is the Deaught Beer Quality Manual which you can download from the Brewers Association website.
I know. I’ve skimmed part of it before. The system works, I would like to be better at it I suppose. Sometimes technicals go above my head I.e. I not exactly sure what to trouble shoot or where to begin, if there is a certain spot to begin.

I usually base my carbonation off of a few indicators, mouthfeel, head retention, bubbles on the side of glass and the duration.

I’m not really sure how to calculate CO2 volumes. I just pump it in and drink.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."