Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: williamette and nz hallertauer good hops to age for a lambic?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline tuanbusku

• 1st Kit

Specialty electrics draw eyes at July series CHICAGO -- Whether it was the free food or the goods themselves, many of the buyers at the NHMA Mid-Year Show here gravitated toward booths with specialization kitchen electrics.
>> See Here
On screen were an array of appliances including pastamakers, ice cream makers, breadmakers, cappuccino/espresso makers, juicers and waffle irons. While manufacturers touted their goods, fresh bread, pasta, ice cream, espresso and cappuccino were served and prepared right before the eyes -- and noses -- of attendees.

Judging from the numbers watching the food preparations take place, the interest amount in the specialty market was large. And, many producers agreed that the appetite for specialty items is increasing. However, according to some producers, just some of those items now in the specialty niche are expected to benefit from the increase in interest. In fact, most producers of specialty products agreed that items such as pasta makers and ice cream manufacturers are leveling off because of saturation in the marketplace or due to what they call overspecialization.

According to Lou Federico, divisional manager of kitchen products at Conair Corp., pastamakers and ice cream makers are weakening. The reason, he explained, is that these products require too much time and effort from customers while delivering comparatively few benefits and little advantage.
"We (Conair Corp.) have been evaluating new market classes. The marketplace for pastamakers appears to be retrenching. Ice cream makers also have weakened. The biggest hangup at retail with ice cream makers is that it requires a lot of work to generate something which's easier to purchase already made." Galileo Buzzi-Ferraris, president of Lello Appliances, distributor of Simac goods, concurred that fascination in pastamakers is subsiding. He explained that the availability of fresh pasta in many grocers' freezers has diminished the demand for customers to exert time and attempt to make pasta at home.

>> https://medium.com/@bestmasticatingjuicer/how-to-choose-a-best-masticating-juicer-2401a47a8d60

Buzzi-Ferraris' view is that"the high-end ice cream firm was screwed-up when Donvier introduced its guide ice cream maker, which retails for just about $30." As a result, he said, costs for the whole market were reduced. "Today to sell huge numbers of (high end ) ice cream machines is quite hard," he added.
In reaction to the Donvier unit, Simac is currently offering the Gelato Pronto; a 79 manual ice cream manufacturer. According to Buzzi-Ferraris the lower priced device is selling very well. In terms of Donvier, federal sales manager Alice Shoemaker responded,"I do not think we screwed it up," speaking to lower priced ice cream makers. "I think what we have done is altered the market."

Tom Fletcher, vice president of marketing at Gourmet Housewares, distributor of a line of Gaggia products, such as a guide ice cream maker, also disagreed with Buzzi-Ferraris. He contended that reduced priced ice cream manufacturers really extend the market. According to Fletcher,"There's a big difference between a $30 ice cream maker and a $600 unit" He added that consumers who purchase one wouldn't be interested in the other.

One area where the two Gaggia's Fletcher and Simac's Buzzi-Ferraris did agree is that cappuccino/espresso makers are powerful and should continue to rise enormously. To satisfy the consumer demand for specialty coffee makers, both firms are marketing new combination cappuccino/espresso machines. "Right now," said Fletcher,"cappuccino/espresso machines are in trend, probably because consumers are traveling more and therefore are vulnerable to various sorts of coffees. The American public as a whole is becoming more sophisticated regarding the usage of coffee and as a result they are searching for variety."
Buzzi-Ferraris agreed. "The cappuccino/espresso market is large, and it's getting even bigger. We are responding to the growing market by developing a fully automatic unit which will make it even simpler to make cappuccino and espresso coffees. We'll present our new cappuccino/espresso machine at the January Housewares Show (1990)." According to Conair's Lou Federico, juicers and juice extractors are different examples of specialization items with expansion potential.

"I visit two merchandise trends, first there is the juicer which squeezes out the juice of most soft fruits and veggies -- for instance, oranges, grapefruits and berries. Then there is the juice extractor which pulls out juices from fruits and vegetables that don't seem juicy -- for instance, carrots, pears and apples. I think both products are being pushed by the health trend, which has existed for a while and the diet craze, which often requires drinking considerable amounts of juices"
Currently, Conair Corp. is advertising a juicer and based on Federico, can be looking intently at juice extractors. As with other manufacturers, Federico agreed that the key to manufacturing specialty products is twofold. "Specialty electrics must supply conveniences and benefits," said Federico. "When we (Conair) look at a specialty merchandise, we ask ourselves,'Can it be providing a benefit?' And'Is it providing a benefit?' In case the answer is no, we are not interested."
>> https://www.facebook.com/Bestmasticatingjuicers.zones

He added,"We looked at breadmakers and decided it was too technical. The final result is a small quantity of bread which takes numerous hours ."
On the other hand, Keizo Kawanishi, executive vice president of Zojirushi America Corp., pointed out that not all breadmakers are alike. For example, he explained the Zojirushi breadmaker provides consumers flexibility, he noted is a characteristic many consumers are looking for in specialty products.
"Other businesses," explained Kawanishi,"have units that only bake bread. Our apparatus can bake bread, cakes and make jams. Lots of people in the (Mid-Year) Show revealed interest in our breadmakers. Consumers tend to get breadmakers for personal use, and afterwards purchase them as gifts."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 02:11:18 am by tuanbusku »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: williamette and nz hallertauer good hops to age for a lambic?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:06:17 am »
Absolutely

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: williamette and nz hallertauer good hops to age for a lambic?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:30:09 pm »
Yeah I wouldn't be afraid to use them. Conventionally lambic brewers use aged European hops with low alpha acid but I've brewed plenty of beer with aged American varieties as well. You need to age them sufficiently to diminish the alpha acids but 2008 is probably more than enough time. Beta acids don't roll off as easily so I would compare the beta content of those varieties against some of the noble hops and adjust your hop volumes accordingly.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing