Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much oxygen can yeast remove when bottling?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
How much oxygen can yeast remove when bottling?
« on: May 24, 2018, 07:59:47 am »
I know you are supposed to minimize any aeration or O2 from beer after fermentation, but I always get some out of the bottling bucket.   How much can the yeast scavenge when bottling?

Thanks in advance for your reply>
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Big Monk

Re: How much oxygen can yeast remove when bottling?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:02:15 am »
I know you are supposed to minimize any aeration or O2 from beer after fermentation, but I always get some out of the bottling bucket.   How much can the yeast scavenge when bottling?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Leftover yeast from fermentation won't be very effective as oxygen scavengers.

In order of reducing (O2 scavenging) power:

1.) Bottling with extract
2.) Partially bottling with extract with a sugar supplement
3.) Bottling with fresh yeast and sugar
4.) Bottling with remaining yeast from fermentation

As a General PSA: Bottling with extract requires you track fermentation progress with an iron fist and can be tough to catch right. You need some bottles rated for higher pressure for margin. It is as safe as the user makes it but can be tricky to catch right.

You'll see a side effect of increased scavenging power is increased sediment in the bottles. If you are concerned with oxygen pickup at bottling (I sure am as I am a bottler as well) then I would suggest pitching additional yeast with the priming sugar when you bottle. Also bottling as close to the completion of fermentation as possible helps to limit exposure of the finished beer to oxygen.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:19:07 am by Big Monk »

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 03:41:27 pm »

Thanks in advance for your reply>

What do you mean by "always get some out of the bottling bucket".  Are you seeing streams of bubbles through the bottling wand?  Are you using a bottling wand?

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:36:53 pm »

As a General PSA: Bottling with extract requires you track fermentation progress with an iron fist and can be tough to catch right. You need some bottles rated for higher pressure for margin. It is as safe as the user makes it but can be tricky to catch right.

You'll see a side effect of increased scavenging power is increased sediment in the bottles. If you are concerned with oxygen pickup at bottling (I sure am as I am a bottler as well) then I would suggest pitching additional yeast with the priming sugar when you bottle. Also bottling as close to the completion of fermentation as possible helps to limit exposure of the finished beer to oxygen.

don't forget about the equipment needed to monitor drifts in yeast mutation that effect fermentation.

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 06:54:35 pm »

don't forget about the equipment needed to monitor drifts in yeast mutation that effect fermentation.

Not sure what you mean or if it’s relevant here.