Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brut IPA  (Read 5129 times)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Brut IPA
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 08:00:07 am »
And I can appreciate that the style may not seem like an IPA if you're going by the traditional IPA definition. I've started to accept that it has become common parlance to refer to any highly hopped beer as "____ IPA", even if the amount of hops used is the only thing it has in common with an IPA.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This fits with what Gordon Strong said in the 2015 BJCP guidelines.  At first the "colored" IPAs had different names like Cascadian Dark Ale, Northwest Red, but those weren't as clear to understand as Black IPA and Red IPA.  Of course, traditionalists balked at a Black Pale Ale or a Red Pale Ale, but Gordon said that for all intents and purposes, in the American market IPA, the acronym for India Pale Ale, doesn't exist anymore.  'IPA' as a word is any hoppy bitter beer with tons of hop aroma and flavor (and newer styles are even dialing back the bitter part).

The only thing I've read about the Brut IPA is that it was specifically formulated to be a regional style.  Someone is trying really hard to make a "San Diego-style" IPA. They just want to be different.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 12:43:22 pm »
Brut IPA really seems like a stab at bringing the west coast, clear IPA style back into marketability by making a new version of it.

I can't claim to be an expert on the emerging style but the few I have had reminded me of a really thin pale ale with the low bitterness of those early 2010s hop burst pale ales. It's not dry, just really thin.

Doesn't scratch any itch for me. I'll take a regular pale ale over it any day.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 06:19:27 pm »
Blasphemy

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 09:18:42 am »
Was this recipe ever brewed?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 11:05:18 am »
Not sure, but I have a couple recipes from various magazines (one of which I believe was touted as the original from Social Kitchen and Brewery) that I may try out sometime soon if time permits. I know a local brewery (with a huge homebrewing background) has brewed at least one but I did not try it. Saw this thread and was hoping to find more info or experiences. Don't like the sound of too thin, no malt presence, etc so maybe I won't be brewing one of these.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 11:30:18 am »
Not sure, but I have a couple recipes from various magazines (one of which I believe was touted as the original from Social Kitchen and Brewery) that I may try out sometime soon if time permits. I know a local brewery (with a huge homebrewing background) has brewed at least one but I did not try it. Saw this thread and was hoping to find more info or experiences. Don't like the sound of too thin, no malt presence, etc so maybe I won't be brewing one of these.

I'm on the fence as well. I am just considering doing a super dry IPA sort of in this vein with sugar and appropriate mash to help it dry out. I was reading the social kitchen article you referenced last night and got intrigued a bit. I see commercial versions around here locally from time to time and I literally have had one that I enjoyed. The rest didn't even seem to come close to what I'm convinced they should be.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 01:23:57 am »
I haven’t tried one yet and don’t think I’m planning on trying one any time soon. But. Breweries in my local have made some, they are pretty good. Dry.
I’ve been told you can add the special ingredient either during the mash or later on. My lhbs sells it, but, IPAs aren’t my go to brew.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."