Author Topic: I still get giddy when fermentation takes off!!!  (Read 1494 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: I still get giddy when fermentation takes off!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »
I'm somewhere between... I'm no longer surprised when fermentation kicks off, that's for sure. Pleased, accomplished, thankful, but to be realistic about it, I don't spot every time I see those first bubbles.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 10:29:58 PM »
Five seconds ago.  Guess I know which camp I'm in!

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
I still am relieved when fermentation starts. My last batch is a first try at a new SS brew bucket I purchased. So I've not been able to see fermentation and on top of that I used WY 3726 in a Saison with a dry airlock. This yeast seems to like no pressure. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks and time to check it out. Hope things went well.  I did miss checking for signs the next day like in my old carboy but the lighter brew bucket sure was nice.
Mike F.                                                                               "I am what I am and that's all that I am" Popeye the sailor

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
Woke up this morning and ran downstairs to check on my Kolsch. I heard it before I even opened the chest freezer, thumping away like the Tell-Tale Heart! Opened the lid  to bubbles in the blow off and the steady "thump, thump, THUMP" got louder and I just grinned and giggled! I've been brewing for 8-9 years now and I still get excited when fermentation takes off... IT'S ALIVE!
Anyone else still find simple, childlike joy in their brewing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Since it usually takes a while, like the next morning, it's that relief that everything you did the day before "worked out".  Oh sure, it could still end up being a bad beer, but you didn't mess it up so bad that the yeast are dead, or unhappy, or forgot to pitch yeast in it at all. 

Whenever I see the bubbles I'm like "Aaaaah yeaaaah!"
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year