Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OG not Hitting target on All Grain Heffeweissen  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Paleface

• 1st Kit
OG not Hitting target on All Grain Heffeweissen
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:39:30 am »
Have tried 2 heffeweissens now. OG is not hitting anywhere near target. Am I missing something? Mash for 60 mins at 152 F, fly sparge at 170 F. Biol for 1 hr.  Twice now OG has hit 1.052. The first was supposed to hit 1.063 to achieve abv of 7%. In last try supposed to by calculator, hit 1.087 to achieve an abv of 8.3% just in case OG was a little low again, and yes I prefer high abv beers. Only thing i can think of is all of the grain isnt getting cracked during mill? All other types ive brewed besides wheats are hitting spot on.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Re: OG not Hitting target on All Grain Heffeweissen
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:53:45 am »
I found that my efficiency goes up if I stir my mash every 10 minutes or so. What is your crush? A finer milling might help. If you do grind finer, be sure to use rice hulls so ensure sparge flow.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline cmb4642

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 06:59:32 am »
What % of wheat malt? Rice halls make a big difference when using a large % of wheat. I also find the stir mentioned above helps as well as a bit longer Nash rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God invented to MLT/BK to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:09:51 am »
I think you nailed it with "not sure all grain is getting cracked in mill". Wheat malt can often be a smaller size than barley malt. Depends on the variety but my guess is you will need to adjust the gap on your mill for you wheat.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 07:25:51 am »
I think you nailed it with "not sure all grain is getting cracked in mill". Wheat malt can often be a smaller size than barley malt. Depends on the variety but my guess is you will need to adjust the gap on your mill for you wheat.

This.  Wheat kernels are smaller.  Who is crushing your grains?  LHBS's notoriously have the mill gaps set too wide to crush very well, and might not crush wheat kernels at all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 07:40:16 am »

This.  Wheat kernels are smaller.  Who is crushing your grains?  LHBS's notoriously have the mill gaps set too wide to crush very well, and might not crush wheat kernels at all.

I agree with both of these brewers.  I typically make two grinds with my Barley Crusher.  The first is for the Barley Malt and the second is for the Wheat Malt.  Then I blend them together with a hefty amount of rice hills.  My mash efficiency for my Hefe is in the low 90’s.

Something else you can do is measure your Pre-Boil gravity.  This will tell you if you have a mash issue.

Edit: I will reduce the gap in the rollers of my Barley Crusher when milling wheat.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:32:14 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Paleface

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 02:49:44 pm »
52% wheat malt. .75 # rice hulls.. i used to let the distributor mill but this time i tried. I did the barley twice and wheat once but defunitely noticed the need to adjest the gap as thwre is definately a difference. From the replies, next time im going to mill seoerately and ensure a good wheat mill happens in attemot to alleviate this issue. Thanks to all for the reply's. I also wanted to make sure there wasnt something special as far as mash temps and times when wheat grains were used vs only barleys that i was missing..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk