Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What Do You Wish You Knew Before Starting  (Read 7289 times)

Offline Arsuf476

• 1st Kit
Re: What Do You Wish You Knew Before Starting
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2018, 06:39:34 am »
Three main things:

1. Buy a larger kettle, I have a 9.5 gallon which works for 5 gal. batches but if I could do it again I would go with a 12-15 gal pot.

2. More fuel efficient propane burner, the initial cost would already be made up in saved propane.

3. Don't drink while you brew, greatly assists in accurate measurements, hitting all your additions etc, have that homebrew when its chilling.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: What Do You Wish You Knew Before Starting
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2018, 10:15:01 am »

Three main things:

3. Don't drink while you brew, greatly assists in accurate measurements, hitting all your additions etc, have that homebrew when its chilling.

I usually pour a beer and forget about it until the boils almost done. One of the cold/cooking glasses helps a lot with that.

I agree on the kettle too, I have a 10 gallon kettle that's perfect for what I do (5-6 gallons of 1.05-1.06 beer). If I want to do bigger beers I need to downsize my batch volume.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What Do You Wish You Knew Before Starting
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2018, 07:26:31 am »
Don’t cut hoses until you’ve brewed a few batches to know where you’re gonna want to position components. Leave them extra long for now. Once you’ve brewed a few batches you can shorten them up if you want. ...but try to make them all the same length so any hose will fit anywhere. Hoses are thirsty, they’ll take your wort if you let them. Make them long enough but not too long.

I’ve learned I prefer the pump off the ground. I operate it with a foot switch to free my hands.  It takes care to ensure the pump head is flooded but it beats tripping over it and spilling liquid on it.  YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:26:07 pm by BrewBama »