Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Braupakt  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Braupakt
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:55:17 am »
Collaboration between Weihenstephan (made by them) and Sierra Nevada, this is a Hefeweizen, 14.5°P, hopped to 35 IBU with Chinook and Amarillo (IIRC.)  A thoroughly enjoyable beer.  What really surprised me (besides the American influenced bigness) was that the hops are not more of a presence -- this is decidedly a Hefeweizen in character.  Two things occurred to me: 1) maybe it's a bit oxidized and the aroma has been compromised a bit, and 2) maybe these hops just play so well with the yeast, that the hoppiness IS there, and I'm misidentifying it as part of the yeast character.  So then comes the big idea somebody's got to try now:  Hefeweizen yeast in a big, juicy NEIPA (maybe skip the ferulic rest though?)  Why not back up that fruit with some spice, and get extra haze to boot? Anyway, this is a nice summer beer, if a bit dangerous at 6% ABV yet crushable.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
Re: Braupakt
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 12:45:04 pm »
Collaboration between Weihenstephan (made by them) and Sierra Nevada, this is a Hefeweizen, 14.5°P, hopped to 35 IBU with Chinook and Amarillo (IIRC.)  A thoroughly enjoyable beer.  What really surprised me (besides the American influenced bigness) was that the hops are not more of a presence -- this is decidedly a Hefeweizen in character.  Two things occurred to me: 1) maybe it's a bit oxidized and the aroma has been compromised a bit, and 2) maybe these hops just play so well with the yeast, that the hoppiness IS there, and I'm misidentifying it as part of the yeast character.  So then comes the big idea somebody's got to try now:  Hefeweizen yeast in a big, juicy NEIPA (maybe skip the ferulic rest though?)  Why not back up that fruit with some spice, and get extra haze to boot? Anyway, this is a nice summer beer, if a bit dangerous at 6% ABV yet crushable.
One of my favorite beers is the collaboration between Schneider and Brooklyn.  It's a bigger beer, at over 8% if I remember correctly, pale color, with the US made version using Amarillo hops and the German version with noble hops.
Was  the SN beer made in N.C.?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:52:31 pm »
^^^^
AFAIK this one's only made in Germany. SN collaborated on the formulation and provided the hops. But I understand Weihenstephan is this year's collaborator for Oktoberfest, so that'll be made by SN.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 02:16:09 pm »
^^^^
AFAIK this one's only made in Germany. SN collaborated on the formulation and provided the hops. But I understand Weihenstephan is this year's collaborator for Oktoberfest, so that'll be made by SN.

That is correct, Robert.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:22:11 am »
^^^^

Nice, looking forward to a Weihenstephan - Sierra Nevada collaboration.

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 04:23:43 pm »
Just bought a 6-pack of these and they totally break my brain. I initially smelled hefe with a little citrus, finish was all hops. After the initial sip I couldn't really find the hefe character again. I don't think I like hoppy-weizen beers. I'd rather have one or the other, I guess :)
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »
Just bought a 6-pack of these and they totally break my brain. I initially smelled hefe with a little citrus, finish was all hops. After the initial sip I couldn't really find the hefe character again. I don't think I like hoppy-weizen beers. I'd rather have one or the other, I guess :)
Funny, I got the opposite, found the hops a little overpowered by the yeast.  Must be one of those genetic palate things, like cilantro....🤔
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio