Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Used to be good...  (Read 6059 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Used to be good...
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:13:49 pm »
What beers have you had in the distant past that were good; but the accountants/CEOs got a hold of it?

Killian's Irish Red for me - I know the recipe has changed. It used to be good, now it is colored BMC.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
Re: Used to be good...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:35:22 pm »
Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich. It seems like after Dave Thomas died, they switched the thick juicy breast (similar size and shape to chik-fil-a) to a flat stringy patty.

(I know this is not beer but i really wanted an old school wendy's spicy chicken sandwich and I know that some bean counter opted for the inferior piece or chicken to save a few pennies after Dave passed. RIP)
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:21:54 pm »
What beers have you had in the distant past that were good; but the accountants/CEOs got a hold of it?

Killian's Irish Red for me - I know the recipe has changed. It used to be good, now it is colored BMC.

I am sure with you on this.  It was actually a very good beer when it was first introduced years ago, when it was marketed as an ALE and tasted like one. A very good one, too.
I think it managed to go two or three  years before they started messing with it,  going through reformulations and rebranding as a lager. 
And it suffered as a result.  Too bad....
Dammit, Coors ALMOST got it right.  :'(

The biggest "used to be good" for me is (as many here already know) is Ballantine XXX Ale.
It had real character, unlike the current imposter bearing the name.
It's too sad to even talk about anymore...
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:44:01 pm »
Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
One time I was drinking it straight and the beancounter in my stomach said "way too damn much", so I haven't been able to enjoy it since.

Otherwise I'll go the food angle like glitterbug, BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings) used to have nice big juicy wings, now those things look like they came off an anorexic cornish game hen.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:48:32 pm by mnstorm99 »
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:08:28 pm »
I haven't noticed the Wendy spicy chicken sandwich, that's my favorite there too.  But I have noticed it about BWW; their wings have really gone down the s***ter.  
I'd have to say Fat Tire used to be a lot better too, I don't know if they changed it or not, but it's not as robust as it used to be.  All it tastes like now is a biscuity alcoholic bleh..thing.  
Jesse

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:26:41 pm »
All it tastes like now is a biscuity alcoholic bleh..thing.  

That really is a perfect Fat Tire description for me.  First and only time I tried it was probably 4 years ago, but its nice to hear that it may once have been a bit better than it was when I tasted it.  At once very biscuity, and very bland.  Weird beer.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 04:22:17 pm »
But I have noticed it about BWW; their wings have really gone down the s***ter.

I'll second that.  I remember their wings being so flipping good.  Not so anymore.

As for beer, I'm not sure whether my old favorites have changed or if my palate is just different than it used to be.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 04:46:03 pm »
Peanut Chews went down hill. Ever since the Goldenberg's sold it to who ever, the new company assed it all up. They even took the Goldenbergs name off.

Now I am strictly a Payday fan.

And jersey Tomatoes. Used to find piles of em now you really have to hunt. Guess that happened when Cambel Soup moved south.

Oh yeah and the lobsters suck too.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 06:40:16 pm »
Redhook - ESB and Ballard Bitter (whatever the hell they call it now). 

back in the late 90s I used to drive all around town to find those two beers.  I can't even stomach the ESB anymore.

Maybe my tastes changed, but I also wonder if the recipe changed.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 07:11:38 pm »
Redhook - ESB and Ballard Bitter (whatever the hell they call it now). 

back in the late 90s I used to drive all around town to find those two beers.  I can't even stomach the ESB anymore.

Maybe my tastes changed, but I also wonder if the recipe changed.
The Ballard Bitter definitely changed, even before they dropped that name. Sad day for me, as that was a real local connection. Of course Ballard has changed completely, too, but I digress.

I remember Bass Ale being pretty good before they got bought out, but it was rare that I drank it. I had it on cask once, pre-buyout, near Stoke, and it was out of this world. Last time I had it, it was a serious meh.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:49:56 pm »
...I remember Bass Ale being pretty good before they got bought out, but it was rare that I drank it. I had it on cask once, pre-buyout, near Stoke, and it was out of this world. Last time I had it, it was a serious meh.

I was a Bass Ale drinker in the early 70's and loved it.  It definitely changed dramatically and lost some of it's rich character when the brewery decided to go "modern" and it abandoned the Burton Unions fermenting setup;   it seemed to have changed again in the last 10  years or so.. 

The product bottled for export to the USA was always a different brew...stronger, and sweeter...the latter most likely so the flavor would hold up to the insanely cold temperature it's served at here in the states.  Nowadays, it too has lost some of it's luster.

Bass on draught in its home land was a damned fine beer (and on draught was the only way it was sold), and had much more hop character than the beer bottled for export.  I haven't had it on it's home turf in many, many years, but doesn't surprise me that it has been dumbed down (and, I understand, it has even become difficult to find).
The consensus I've heard is that it has been badly neglected by it's current owners.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 09:17:24 pm »
Pete's Wicked Ale when Pete was making it
Thomas Hardy's Ale when Eldridge Pope was making it
Samichlaus when Hurlimann was making it
Celis White when Pierre was making it

Anyone detect a theme?

(BW3s back when it meant something else. WTF happened to the weck?)

There was once a little restaurant in the Boston area called Bertucci's.  Pizza and bocce.  Then they franchised it and it showed up in more places than Boston Chicken and Starbucks.  Crap compared to the original.

Uno's all over the place vs. Uno's in Chicago

Anyone detect another theme?

The worst part about getting old is sounding old.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 12:04:43 am »
Gordon I was going to say the Celis' that were done in Austin. I recently had the White, the Raspberry, and Pale Bock- I was really looking for the Grand Cru :-\ I can only assume it suffered the same fate.  :'(

And how about bottle size? Many European beers now come in 11.2 oz!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 05:02:53 am »
Leinenkugel's Red, since Miller bought 49% of Leinenkugel's Brewery.  Apparently Miller only brews the Original and Light, but they must have some control over the original brewery in Chipawa Falls, because the beers from there are cheaper and watered down now.
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 06:59:44 am »

Yes . . Killians. Like the Proffesor said, when it was an ale it was outstanding. Went to the brewery in Golden prolly 25 years ago and had it in the hospitality room . . I sought it out at the beer store in that area and brought two cases back to Tennessee. Still, it was the beer that turned me on to the possibilities and as such, holds a special place in my heart. I can still drink it today on draft and discern a difference between it and most other mega swills.

As far as other things . . Gasoline w/ 10% ethanol. What a ridiculous ruse to think we're somehow saving energy when mileage decreases by 15 to 20% using the stuff.  >:( 
Just brew it...