Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I still get giddy when fermentation takes off!!!  (Read 2790 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: I still get giddy when fermentation takes off!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 03:08:02 pm »
I'm somewhere between... I'm no longer surprised when fermentation kicks off, that's for sure. Pleased, accomplished, thankful, but to be realistic about it, I don't spot every time I see those first bubbles.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 04:29:58 pm »
Five seconds ago.  Guess I know which camp I'm in!

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 08:00:21 am »
I still am relieved when fermentation starts. My last batch is a first try at a new SS brew bucket I purchased. So I've not been able to see fermentation and on top of that I used WY 3726 in a Saison with a dry airlock. This yeast seems to like no pressure. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks and time to check it out. Hope things went well.  I did miss checking for signs the next day like in my old carboy but the lighter brew bucket sure was nice.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 10:37:07 am »
Woke up this morning and ran downstairs to check on my Kolsch. I heard it before I even opened the chest freezer, thumping away like the Tell-Tale Heart! Opened the lid  to bubbles in the blow off and the steady "thump, thump, THUMP" got louder and I just grinned and giggled! I've been brewing for 8-9 years now and I still get excited when fermentation takes off... IT'S ALIVE!
Anyone else still find simple, childlike joy in their brewing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Since it usually takes a while, like the next morning, it's that relief that everything you did the day before "worked out".  Oh sure, it could still end up being a bad beer, but you didn't mess it up so bad that the yeast are dead, or unhappy, or forgot to pitch yeast in it at all. 

Whenever I see the bubbles I'm like "Aaaaah yeaaaah!"
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year