Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acid mashing  (Read 1171 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Acid mashing
« on: June 18, 2018, 04:03:34 pm »
I have about 5 more minutes until I pitch my only hop addition into an acid mashed Berliner weissen. The same beer I made last year won my club competition for sour beers (yay).

Has anyone else tried acid mashing and what styles can this technique be used for? I am thinking a gose but also want to try my hand at other beers.

7#pils
2#flaked wheat
3#acidulated (last year I used two) added 30 mins into the mash and add 1gal 160* water.

.5oz mittelfrüh at 20 mins

This year I’m adding 3 packages of sunshine raspberries framboises at flame out.

Us05 yeast. Ferment around 68*

Curious as to what you have tried.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Acid mashing
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 06:18:12 am »
Hmm? I've not heard of 'acid mashing'. Given that the enzymatic processes of the mash are pH dependent and that is especially true of the proteolytic process, I'm concerned that too much body and mouthfeel will be consumed with that approach.

I've always performed a regular mash for my Berliner's and then sour the wort in a keg. That soured wort is then boiled for a moment to kill the critters and a yeast pitch is added to the cooled wort.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:54:51 am »
Kind of like a kettle souring, but done in the mash with a big dose of acidulated malt to create a sour mash?  I am not sure how much of the acidity comes through in that process, but if you like the result, I suspect that any style that works with a kettle souring would work with an acid mashing.

As to the raspberries, do you find that the heat at flameout sets the pectin?  Hazy is the craze, so maybe it is not an issue for you.  I would go for it on a few styles, including a soured wheat ale.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 12:23:16 pm »
Again. I add the acidulated after mashing 30 minutes. I’m not sure what that does with the enzymes.
This beer does look like it will be hazy, the last one, with no fruit was bright and clear.

This is the second time I’ve tried this, I’m not sure i pitched enough yeast though because I looked at my notes from last year and I used two packets of us05. Only one this year and the batch lagged for almost 24 hours. Even now it’s slow running.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."