Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: temps  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
temps
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:11:28 pm »
Quick and basic question: After the first week or two of ferment under proper temps., gravity now being mostly unchanged or even if there is a stuck ferment, is it alright to raise temps to mid-high 70's--above "optimal" temps for that yeast strain?

Or, always keep temps in range?
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: temps
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:20:24 pm »
Quick and basic question: After the first week or two of ferment under proper temps., gravity now being mostly unchanged or even if there is a stuck ferment, is it alright to raise temps to mid-high 70's--above "optimal" temps for that yeast strain?

Or, always keep temps in range?
Yes, it's ok to raise the temp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:37:27 pm »
To the temps you're talking,  yes.  Don't go too high for the strain (say 80s or 90s unless its Bekgian or Norwegian) where you'll stress it, or of course high enough to kill it.  But in any temperature controlled environment you're probably good.  Don't set it in your garden shed in the summer.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:48:11 pm »
According to Chris White “Diacetyl reduction is slower at colder temperatures, so it is essential to incorporate the diacetyl rest when making cold fermented lagers. The process is simply to raise the fermentation temperature from lager temperatures (50-55F) to 65-68F [I use 70*F] for a two day period near the close of the fermentation. Usually the diacetyl rest is begun when the beer is 2 to 5 specific gravity points away from the target terminal gravity. The temperature is then lowered to conditioning temperature following diacetyl reduction.

For ale production, the fermentation temperature is usually 65-70F, so temperature modification is not necessary [I usually ferment Ales at 65*F so raise temp by 5*F]. But the fermentation should still be "rested" at this temperature for two days to ensure proper diacetyl reduction.”

Ref: https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:50:15 pm »
I raise the temp to 70-72 after 4-5 days for every beer I make, ale or lager.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:10:12 pm »
Same here.  (Actually even sooner for ales.  Just wait till at least 50% AA.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:13:35 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:32:45 pm »
Same here.  (Actually even sooner for ales.  Just wait till at least 50% AA.)

Being lazy....er, pragmatic...I figure at 4-5 days it's at 50% and I don't check it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline robdogj

• 1st Kit
  • enjoying my hobby as a zymurgist
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 11:06:31 am »
According to Chris White “Diacetyl reduction is slower at colder temperatures, so it is essential to incorporate the diacetyl rest when making cold fermented lagers. The process is simply to raise the fermentation temperature from lager temperatures (50-55F) to 65-68F [I use 70*F] for a two day period near the close of the fermentation. Usually the diacetyl rest is begun when the beer is 2 to 5 specific gravity points away from the target terminal gravity. The temperature is then lowered to conditioning temperature following diacetyl reduction.

For ale production, the fermentation temperature is usually 65-70F, so temperature modification is not necessary [I usually ferment Ales at 65*F so raise temp by 5*F]. But the fermentation should still be "rested" at this temperature for two days to ensure proper diacetyl reduction.”

Ref: https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that tidbit. Now the problem I have is this 3 gallon carboy of wort that I added a .5 cup of water w/ gelatin. I was attempting to clear up the wort but I inadvertently started a 2nd fermentation. I going to lower the temp of the wort even more now, but I am sure your insights will help me 100%.
Thanks!!!

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 11:14:09 am »
Are you sure you restarted fermentation?   If it's just that you're seeing bubbles in the airlock, that could be nothing more than CO2 gassing off out of solution.  Check gravity to determine if there's ongoing fermentation.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline robdogj

• 1st Kit
  • enjoying my hobby as a zymurgist
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 05:50:03 pm »
Are you sure you restarted fermentation?

Yes, I had foam in the airlock & I had to put in a blowout tube instead